Stink Bug?

A few weeks ago while out taking photos at the edge of the wheat field I saw this little guy. I’m not positive, but I think he is of the family of Stink Bugs. I really liked his colors and markings. He posed nicely for me for just a moment.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything that might improve the image.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Taken with Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 100 mm f2.8 L macro lens, KX-800 twin flash with diffuser, HH at f10. 1/200, ISO 200 (manual settings). Edited in LR and Topaz AI Clear.

1 Like

Oh wow, Shirley! This is awesome! It looks like a model shoot! Everything is perfect about it! This could be in one of those high end art galleries. You should enter this in some kind of nature photographer contest! That’s my opinion… Beautifully crafted, lighting, angle, perspective, background, position of bug! Did I tell you I really like this?! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

You are too kind, Vanessa! Thank you for your kind words. I do appreciate them. :grinning:

That is really pretty Shirley . The little bug is perched just perfectly on the slender stems. Lovely bg Awesome.

1 Like

I love how you’re able to capture these guys. They never sit still. I like the underside details here and that you’ve caught it in such a dramatic position with plenty of room to climb down. The bg colors are nicely complementary.

1 Like

Shirley: Great find and an even better capture. Love the perch and your DOF control. You sure do get great results form your lighting rig. Most excellent. >=))>

1 Like

Super! The angle of the bug and the stems makes the image so interesting – looks like he’s ready to launch an attack! Wonderful IQ and colors!

1 Like

This is just great! I have a bunch of stinkbugs in my office and they tend to make that gesture just prior to flying off. So, great action shot. Beautiful colors and excellent sharpness. I don’t have the ability to do so, but this would be an “Editors Pick” if it were me.

What lighting rig is @Bill_Fach referring too?

1 Like

Great details and color Shirley. I like the comp. very much in the way if you framed. Very sharp on the subject and the DOF is great. I would like to know how you are diffusing the flash system. I have been having trouble doing that with the same flash control.

Outstanding, Shirley. As others have said, the detail you’ve captured is beyond amazing. Your “rig” set up is envious, definitely next on my wish list. So glad to see you’ve had some time to be out and about. Very nicely seen, captured and executed.

Thank you all for your kind comments. Dean, I am just using a cheap diffuser I found at B&H made by Angler, that fits onto the lens through a hole that has elastic. It leans forward some, and I pull the arms of the flash heads back a good ways from it, and tilt them inward a bit so that the beams are crossing each other. My settings on it is usually at 1/16th power. Sometimes I may make one 1/8th. I am pretty consistently leaving my camera set at f10, 1/200, ISO 200, all manual. I do use autofocus. I hope that helps.

Shirley, the details in the bug (clueless on the ID) look great. It’s markings fit well with it’s perch and all stand out against the nicely complementary background. The overall clean simplicity fits with the striking markings.

1 Like

Beautiful image of a bug we would rather not smell! The flash did a good job of illuminating the subject just right! Stinkbugs just might get a better reputation after this!

1 Like

Great composition and pose of the inset. Looks like it is ready to take off. lighting is good and dof just right. I think the second perch to the right adds to the balance.

1 Like

This is beyond impressive Shirley, agree with all prior comments but I loved the upward appearance of the stems in the background as thought they give the appearance of lighting from below to showcase the perfect, in focus stink bug.
Wayne

1 Like

Hi Shirley,
I know this is an older topic, I have been viewing most of your work and I just felt like commenting on this one in particular.
I’ve enjoyed them all!!
I hope you don’t mind me dragging an older topic back up.

I’ve seen many colors of and many patterns on stink bugs, I’ve photographed a few and I think this is the first time I have seen one with such a bright paint scheme.
The detail is awesome, the profile is great and you have this one framed perfectly.
And the BG couldn’t be better IMHO.

You have a portfolio to be proud of, Shirley! :slight_smile: (As do many others here).

Wow, Merv, thank you for taking the time and looking at my portfolio and for your kind words. I really appreciate that. I have yet to see another stink bug like this one. So glad I was able to capture this shot.

1 Like