Stink Bug (?) on Wheat Head

I’m not sure what it’s official name is, but while out shooting in the wheat field by our house (I had been noticing Ladybugs on the wheat when I was out walking). He posed pretty good for me. First shots were from on that posed his top have to me, but I liked how this one was side view.

Specific Feedback Requested

Can you think of anything that might improve the shot?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
I shot this with my Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 100 mm L macro lens, HH at f16, 1/200, ISO 320, with KX-800 twin flash and DIY diffuser. Edited in LR (highlights/shadows mainly) and Topaz AI. Cropped some for better composition.

Whoa, Shirley. Fantastic detail you’ve gotten in this little fellow. I like this perspective as the bug seems to be mimicking the shape and lines of the wheat. I’ve not seen one of these so I’m no help with the identification. Also like that the bug is slightly off center and the soft muted colors all blend so well together. Very nicely seen and captured.

1 Like

Nice. I like the subtle light and shading. Looks like a shield bug to me (aka stink bug), but without seeing the top I can’t make an ID. Great texture. These guys always look kind of friendly to me.

@Kris_Smith Kris, thank you. I should have tried looking on line. A shield bug sounds about right though, as their back looks like a shield. I am attaching a photo I took moments before of another one (pretty sure) in a position where you can see his back. Thanks for your kind comments and the ID.

2 Likes

Two lovely shots, Shirley. You caught its eye well in the first one, so it looks like a little mischievous character. I also like the lines made by the wheat. And the seeds give a good idea of the bug’s size.

1 Like