New Life

I was out in the yard trying to find Jumping Spiders a week or so ago and noticed this cluster, which was so small I couldn’t make out what it was. So with the 1X-5X lens on, I took a few shots at somewhere around 2X or larger and was amazed at what I saw when I looked at it on the computer screen. This little guy (light color) was transforming out of an older shell, I think. I see other bugs to the right side that is probably ones that had matured more, or waiting to do what he is doing. I’m sure there is a name to what is happening. Maybe someone knows what these are, what is taking place, and if they are good or bad for the garden?

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything, but especially an ID.

Technical Details

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon MPE-65 1X-5X, all manual settings as well as focus. Used my KX-800 twin flash and diffuser setup. Settings were f9, 1/200, ISO 320. Flash at 1/8th power.

2 Likes

Fascinating, Shirley. Good eyes to have seen this in the first place. I can’t help with the ID, hoping someone else may know so I’ll be aware of what to keep an eye out for.

1 Like

This is so cool! Judging by the other nymphs there, I’d say it’s a type of shield bug, but I’m not sure. Excellent shot of such a terrific moment in the life of a bug.

1 Like

Whatever it is, this is a truly excellent capture – and that lens is a test for anyone! Both technically proficient and beautiful!

1 Like

Very cool! Those little egg cases(?) are so perfect. I can’t help with an ID, either.

1 Like

Hi Shirley,

Very impressive and I normally prefer more DOF, but the DOF present in this image fits perfectly. Overall comp is pretty good, but you have several cropping options which may strengthen the comp if so desired. Frankly, I like the image as presented. They might be immature stinkbugs. Well done…Jim

1 Like

Shirley: No clue on the ID but who cares? Just a great capture of a unique moment that most would never see much less create an interesting image. Most excellent. >=))>

1 Like

Shirley, this is an outstanding macro shot. Getting one just hatching along with some previously hatched siblings and some still enclosed egg cases is quite the feat. The colors in the new hatchling are quite striking.

1 Like