Tiny Caterpillar

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was checking out our flowers to see if maybe a Jumping Spider might be visible when I spotted this tiny Caterpillar. Not sure what kind it is. It was probably less than an inch long, I’m guessing.

Specific Feedback

I cropped in pretty good to bring attention to the Caterpillar and remove some distracting areas. Does the composition look okay?

Technical Details

Taken with Canon 5D Mark IV, HH, with Canon f2.8 100 mm macro lens, KX-800 twin flash with DIY diffuser. Manual settings f13, 1/200, ISO 320, manual focus. Edited in LR minor adjustments and crop.

2 Likes

Love the composition, Shirley. How the purple stems of the plant create leading lines that the worm seems to be echoing. We have some similar caterpillars feasting on the remnants of the bluebonnets this past week and like you I have been unable to identify them yet. Sent an image to iNaturalist and am waiting for a response, will let you know if I get an ID. The colors are just lovely and the caterpillar fit right in. Nicely seen.

1 Like

Yeah, the bendy worm and the bendy stems work well together. I think I even see a couple caterpillar poops in there. Ha! I think it was nibbling on the blossom casing and is moving on to fresh ones. Composition looks fine to me and the light is even and has no harsh shadows, you macro flash queen!

1 Like

Shirley - Not sure if you are interested but I just heard back from the iNaturalist group and the caterpillar is thought to be of the Uresiphita is a genus of moths of the Crambidae family. Not exactly sure what that would look like as a moth, but interesting to know.

Okay, thank you, Linda. I’m not sure either, but I do have a butterfly/moth ID book, so maybe I can figure it out.

1 Like

F13 Wow !!! very cool…You have a great eye for macro nature photography. I think your composition is really good. Keeping everything soft except the caterpillar.

1 Like

Hi Shirley,

I think @linda_mellor is right about this being a “Uresiphita Moth Link”.

The images at the link show the moth and a few examples of the caterpillar.

I really like the image you’ve created here! The composition looks very good and I love the colors!

I might be wrong but it looks like there’s a smaller caterpillar on the OOF bud at the right edge of the image. :thinking:

You’re inspiring me to shoot more macro.
I found a bug on a nice little white flower this morning, it appears to be a blister beetle, they’re not very attractive even for bugs but it was fun capturing it on digital film.
I’m looking for a jumping spider but but I’d settle for a crab spider.
I may post the blister beetle soon, it’s more of a snapshot though.

Nice work, Shirley! :slight_smile:

Thank you, Merv. I am so looking forward to your beetle image!

I checked the link (thank you for sharing) and it does look similar. I found another one in the flowers today and got some shots I will share soon, but it seems to be a different one. Similar, but different. The head on the one I took today is orange color, not black as this one and the one on the link you shared has. They are so tiny. Yes, you are right, it does look like maybe there is an oof one on the right in this photo. I guess we are going to have a lot of moths. Evidently the Spiderwort plant is what they feed on and maybe even lay their eggs, etc.

I do hope that you can find a jumping spider. Also hope to see more macro images that you take. It is a whole new universe when you start taking photos of tiny little insects.

1 Like