Caterpillar

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Does the composition look okay?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Handheld. Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 100 mm L macro lens, handheld with KX-800 twin flash and DIY diffuser. Settings manual, f22, 1/125, ISO 320.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Shirley, congrats on achieving “moderaterness”, :wink:. This is a fine look at this caterpillar in a nice clean setting. Because of the limited spines and extra color, I suspect that this is will become a butterfly, but I haven’t searched to see. This view shows how working with a flash lets you extend the dof in macro.

Shirley: I really like how you controlled the lighting on this guy and the comp. Not sure on the ID but it would help if you knew the plant its eating and the location in the country. :+1::+1:>=))>

Really excellent light and color. The diagonals work really well. Good choice on depth of field.

Thank you, Mark, for the congrats. I just hope I can support this wonderful community of photographers by filling the role as Moderator in a worthy manner. Thank you, Mark, Bill, and David for your kind comments. I need to see if I can get an ID on this caterpillar, so that I can share that info as well. I sure hope it will be a butterfly. I do know that he is on a Black-Eyed Susan in my flower bed in southeastern part of North Carolina. That twin flash (Venus KX-800) with those twisty little arms really works well for handheld, close up photography. I have been struggling with a good permanent diffuser for it. At the time I took this shot, I had a piece of copier paper in a document protector, and had that in a white plastic shopping bag tied to the flash to keep the diffuser out away from the flash heads, providing softer light (and one light, since we have one sun). I am now trying a plastic milk jug cut out and tied on to see how that will do. I appreciate you all viewing and commenting.