On the Edge

What technical feedback would you like if any?

If you see anything technically that I might could have done differently, please let me know.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Composition, exposure look okay?

Any pertinent technical details:

Shot handheld with Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 100 mm L macro lens, KX-800 twin flash with homemade diffuser. Settings f19, ISO 250, 1/90.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I meant to ask, can anyone identify this little guy???

Excellent, Shirley. I like the composition with the curved leaf edge leading through the image.

Harlequin bug ( Murgantia histrionica)
Shirley, the comp is classic and the color and DOF are outstanding. One very small nit, question really. I think using a tripod would have bumped this from outstanding to perfect!

Thank Dennis and Phil. Thank you for the suggestion of the tripod, Phil, and for providing the type of bug. I find myself, by using that twin flash, not wanting to be tethered to the tripod. I can move freely around and find more to take a photo of, especially before they decide to quit posing. I somehow had dropped my shutter speed lower than I like to have it when shooting macro handheld, even with the flash. Again, thank you all for viewing and commenting.

Shirley: I’m impressed with your use of the flash and the lack of shadows. Good POF/DOF choice. Top notch.>=))>

The home made diffuser worked quite well, shadows look very natural. I really like the position of the bug and the curve of the leaf. Excellent dof on the bug. And the bug stands out against the all green background. I like such ‘simple’ images. A few minor comments: 1) I wish there was a bit less shine on the shield; 2) the image seems a bit dark on my monitor; 3) you may consider a slight crop, moving the bug a bit more into the ulc.

Shirley: excellent light, subject and composition. A very minor nit would be to burn the brighter areas on the insects head and mantle in the right shoulder. Richard

1 Like

Sorry for coming in late Shirley, thought I’d commented. This is truly in-your-face fine macro. I really like the simple comp an focus.

Thank you, Bill.