Brown Bug

What technical feedback would you like if any? Can anyone identify this bug? I searched for quite awhile this morning and didn’t see a bug like it on the internet. I will attach the face on shot too, just to help someone ID it.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Anything one might see to improve either shot.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Shot with Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 100 mm L macro lens, KX-800 twin flash with homemade diffuser, f19, 1/90, ISO 160, manual settings, handheld.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Wow, Shirley! This is beautifully executed. It’s images like this that make me love doing macro work. Have no idea what it might be, but that head-on view is magnificent. Hope someone can ID it.

Thank you, Bill. I appreciate that. I love macro photography best of all, because there is a whole new world out there to explore. Things we cannot see just looking at it, but brought in close with a macro lens, and we are amazed. Thank you for viewing and your comment. Yes, maybe someone will be able to ID it. I would say that it is about an inch to maybe an inch and a half long.

Superb detail in both images, Shirley. You might try posting the images on Bugguide.net as an ID Request. I suspect someone there might be able to tell you what it is.

1 Like

Shirley, both shots are outstanding. The details in the bug are great and it’s colors sure pop against the green leaves. All of the tiny hairs are quite dramatic. I’m a bit surprised not to see antennae, so maybe this is a nymph. I spent some time looking at pics on bugguide.net but could not find a match. I’ll second Dennis’s suggestion.

Wonderful images Shirley. Love the composition of the first shot with the beetle framed so well amongst the leaves. Nice details and exposure. Well done!

Thank you, Dennis, Mark and Allen. I still haven’t ID it yet. I registered with at bugguide.net, and it never gave me a chance to create a password. Then when I went to log in, of course it asked for a password, so I asked them to reset and send me a new one and heard nothing from the site.

Dramatic results Shirly, with all those hairs standing out. The colors pop against the green bg. Love the headon image
Balan

10 lined June beetle. Well done Shirley–I like both views as presented…Jim

Thank you, Jim, so very much! I had no idea there was such a beetle. I have heard and seen what we call June Beetles, but, even though they are close to the same size, they are different in color, and texture, and maybe even shape. It is nice to know what this bug is, and now I will look it up and discover their purpose in life. Again, thanks so much.

Have only just caught up with this, Shirley - wonderful detail in both images, but I especially love the head-on view; it really hits you in the eye ! Glad you’ve had it identified !!

Thank you, Ian. Yes, I was very pleased to have this bug identified. Thank you for viewing and your nice comments.