Worm or Catapiller?

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any you can suggest.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does the composition feel right?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Taken with Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 100 mm L Macro lens, using KX-800 twin flash, handheld, f16, 1/60, ISO 160.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This looks really good. I was going to suggest opening up the darker areas a bit, but upon viewing the large version, it looks quite right as presented.

Thank you, Harley, that is the kind of feedback I need. I meant to say, this little guy was no more than a half an inch long! So tiny. I am wondering if anyone knows what he is.

Definitely a Caterpillar, Shirley, but I have no idea of the species. It’s sufficiently distinctive that I suspect it is named. You might try Google Image Search or Inaturalist (the latter is an app) to help with the ID. I also did an online search for a Caterpillar ID Guide and found a site called Discover Life that came up with this result.

A very nice image. I like the presence on the leaf. and the depth of field.

By the way, identification of the plant a caterpillar is feeding on can help a lot with the caterpillar ID, since many of them feed only on a single species or small group of species of plants.

Thank you so much, Dennis. That was a huge help. Turns out, it is a caterpillar of the Gulf Fratillary butterfly. I will paste in the link to where your link lead me to. https://entnemdept.ifas.ufl.edu/creatures/bfly/gulf_fritillary.htm
Now I know that. The plant that it was on is one that I was given from someone else’s yard, so I do not know the name of it. It blooms some small blue flowers early on in the spring, and seems to just grow and spread the rest of the spring and summer. It sure makes nice ground cover, but now I am thrilled that it also is hosting a Gulf Fritillary butterfly. Again, thanks, and I have bookmarked that site for future use!

The larger version says it all Shirley. Love the contrast within the frame and ofcourse the detail on the caterpillar.
Balan Vinod

Shirley: You beat me to the punch on the ID. If this is a gulf fritillary (and it looks like one to me) this is probably a form of passion vine. We have a bunch of these in our garden so we usually have a good crop of fritillaries through the summer. I like your comp and where you placed the edge of leaf. The light is really nice as well. Nice find and a fine capture.>=))>

Shirley, a fine catch on this caterpillar. How nice to have an ID. The details look great in the larger version, especially all of those spines.

Hi Shirley, I really like the details you have captured here even down to the tiny spines. These caterpillars make for interesting subjects and you have captured this one quite well. My only minor nit is the strong flash highlights running down the caterpillar but the details captured make up for it. Nicely done.