Curious Bear

I definitely do not consider myself a wildlife photographer, but was heading out of GSMNP having shot macro/small scenes and a few rivers for the week. I brought my bazooka that my friend always gives me a hard time about (Sigma 150-600 Sport) because its a behemoth of a lens. There was the typical Bear Snare of traffic on Little River Road and I had a few minutes to see if there was a shot. I parked in a pullout, got out the bazooka and watched this beautiful young bear eating salad for lunch about 300yards away. I watched him and had my lens on him for about 20-30 minutes. Most everyone had their fill and walked away, but he then moved into a clearing and looked back a few times with his nose in the air. He gave the rest of us a look and I was grateful to catch him looking back at us. Thankfully, he was far enough away and higher up a ridge as to be unapproachable by silly people trying to get selfies or better phone shots.

Specific Feedback Requested

Be interested in recommendations from our dedicated wildlife friends in this group as to advice on post-processing.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D850, Sigma 150-600 Sport @600, ISO 1250, 1/640@f/6.3, Cropped ~30%, rotated slightly to straghten tree trunks, manipulated Red and Blue channels in “Calibration”, varied local adjustments with gradient channels and radial filters to help with framing. Removed one distracting stick that was approaching his L ear in Ps.

jim_mcgovern_photography
2 Likes

Jim, this is a testament to your instincts and experience. Both bringing the big gun and waiting for the shot are hallmarks of someone who understands that serendipity can bring opportunity for great photos, but creating them takes patience. What a terrific shot. The head turn and the brown butt are so cute, if that word can be applied to a grown bear. The framing works so well - two large trees and an arc of foliage. The only thing that I’d look at is the deep black of the bear - can any detail be dredged up from there? Also I might try lightening the face just a little - especially the eyes. But darn this is a heck of a keeper! Congratulations.

Hi Jim! You’re so lucky to get to see a bear this close! And to have eye contact is wonderful! I love that the bear looks so relaxed and just curious about you! Great detail too, if it were mine I would crop just a little bit closer! I have a question… Were you really only 300 yds away? I ask because it seems like a 600mm lens would have gotten the bear a lot closer. I only have a 70-300 and it’s kind of disheartening for me to think that if I had been there my bear shot would have been a lot smaller! :disappointed:

Really nice pose you captured, Jim. Patience in wildlife photography is sometimes hard learned, but you earned your reward, here! As someone above noted, I might try lightening the bear a bit to see if there is any detail there, and maybe try to darken the foliage a bit. Regardless, this is a terrific shot!

A cool capture, like the looking back pose and you framed it well.
It is always rewarding to find a good subject and stay with it.
As suggested, you may try to reduce the blacks and extract some details in the bear.

Thanks @Kris_Smith, @Vanessa_Hill , @terryb and @JRajput …I’ve reworked the file a bit to bring up the darks some, adding a little bit of texture as well. Not sure if you can tell a difference. Let me know what you think. I’ve also darkened some of the brighter colors.

@Vanessa_Hill …you’re probably right, I’m a pretty poor estimator of distance. Maybe it was closer to 500yrds?

Anyway, thanks again everyone!

1 Like

It’s proven once again: you can command your luck, and you did it. A great pose, and I like it that the environment is in the frame.
I agree with @Vanessa_Hill to crop a bit closer, maybe to remove the OOF trunk at the left edge (sorry, @Kris_Smith )? I like the bright foliage, so darkening is not necessary for me. As always: a matter of taste. Great shot.

I’m a poor estimator of distance as well! I feel like I’m always surprised at how much farther away or surprisingly closer animals end up being in my camera!

1 Like

Your patience certainly did pay off Jim. Just a perfect head turn showing curiosity but not fear and wonderful framing with the OOF leaves and tree trunk on the left. The redo trying to recover some of the blacks is well done. It’s still dark but you can now make out the fur detail. I wouldn’t go any further than that. I noticed that @Han_Schutten cropped the left tree trunk out and a little bit off the top and I do prefer that crop to the original but would be thrilled with either. The crop allows for the bear to enter the scene from the left without being “framed in” with the original trunk on the left. Looks a little more natural and inviting. Really nice capture Jim!

1 Like

Jim, the bear looking back at you adds a lot to this view. Your redo also is a good improvement, with the greens toned down a bit and some good details in the blacks near it’s rump. That brown rump is quite striking. You’re framing creates a good sense of peering through the trees at this bear, which is how most sightings occur. BTW, it’s easier to compare versions if you add the redo to your original post, then a viewer can “arrow” back and forth between them.

1 Like

@Han_Schutten - I really like your crop…much better than my version. And @David_Haynes, I agree with your comments. This crop does open up the image more and gives the bear the breathing room he needs.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver…I’m still learning the website, so thanks for the tip.

This is a good black bear shot, Jim. I like the crop that Han did, as the oof tree trunk was quite distracting. I also like the modifications you made to lighten up the shadows and lower the contrast. It definitely helps provide definition of the bear.