All for Science!

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any issues with post processing?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Composition OK?

Any pertinent technical details: D500 280mm (200-400mm f4 + 1.4x TC, 1/1000sec at f6.3, Iso 800). Levels, Topaz DeNoise AI, Shadows & Highlights, Brightness & Contrast, Crop for Comp. A small, radio collard black bear feeding on black hawthorn fruit, Grand Tetons National Park.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Superb detail, Jim, and the radio collar is pretty inconspicuous. I’m not sure I’d want to be close enough to more than fill the frame at 280 mm. I got a little closer to a bear eating berries than it wanted once and that was more than enough.

I like the composition. You might play with toning down the highlights on some of the leaves above the bear’s head as they do draw the eye a bit.

1 Like

It was on the easiest shots of the trip–all taken from the passenger seat of my RAV4. He’s actually up 20 feet in the tree so we and the bear were ok with the situation. Several grizzly bears came into the area right after we left and the park rangers closed the road down. Better safe than sorry…

Wow! This is a fantastic shot Jim! I’m with Dennis here that I wouldn’t want to get any closer than this, but what a great image. The only thing I’d do would maybe add a vignette. I took the liberty. I’m sure someone else can do a better job by taking their time, but you get the idea.

Wow, what an awesome capture!

1 Like