Curious Visitor

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

I was in my garden and saw this Scrub Jay under a bush which produced a substantial shadow except for a shaft of light glowing through an opening. It was incredible that I had my camera and the light illuminating the Jay. His expression and eye position ingtregued me. So, here is the result.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

A Scrub Jay visiting my garden bird feeder decided to bury a peanut and then jumped up on a stepping stone into a shaft of light. I found the curious look interesting.

Technical Details

Nikon D600 with Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 @ 380mm
1/50 sec @ f/11 -1.33EV
ISO 100
Aperture Priority
Pattern Metering

Specific Feedback

Any and all

Ray: Love the expression and the lighting is terrific. Glad you were prepared and were rewarded with such a fine capture. >=))>

Really nice light in the eye of this jay, Ray. I love the typical Jay head turn.

Thank you, Bill, I appreciate your response.