Curtains of Volcanic Tuff

Rework:

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

ISO 100, 24mm, f/16, 0.4 sec
Processed in Lightroom, converted by using adjustments in HSL panel

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Great shot. I love the texture and contrast of this image. The only comment I would have is the crevasse on the lower right corner draws my eye and distracts me from the linear repeating patterns that are the highlight of this image.

1 Like

Cameron,

Love this. Great job isolating just the geology and graphics of it all from the larger landscape. I like the lines and repeating diminishing, patterns of the eroded earth. Another cool aspect is the lack of scale here which adds a touch of mystery.

I was kinda thinking along the lines of John in not only the LRC, but also the cravass in the ULC. While not distracting per se, I think I would dodge the shadows a little in those areas to help even out the light. Sure, those areas are in shadow, but do draw the eye a little bit. And for the same reason of evening out the light, perhaps burning the tope of the main ridge near center of frame.

I think the contrast in general across the frame is just right; just a few minor tweaks. Or not…

Well seen and photographed.

Lon

1 Like

Cameron, I am a sucker for this kind of “close up” images. I think you have done well processing this. B&W works really well. I don’t have any problem with the right hand side of the area though but I do think that the left dark crevasses on the left hand side is a little too distracting compared to the repeating patterns to their right. I would consider cropping it so you don’t have the two big dark crevasses on the left. I wouldn’t have thought that this was captured at 24mm. I would have thought this was a 200mm or something.

1 Like

Cameron, I am really enjoying this B&W presentation. I agree with @Lon_Overacker on bringing up the shadows in the crevasses. I think that will help quite a bit. For me that may be enough to avoid the crops that have been suggested. As presented I agree with @Adhika_Lie that the two large crevasses on the left catch my eye more than the LRC.

Nice work as presented!

1 Like

Super image, Cameron. The texture is impressive. I particularly love the accentuated gradient between lower left and upper right corners.

I’m also a big fan of the dark crevasses because they act as departures to the dominant pattern. If they weren’t there, this image wouldn’t be unique.

2 Likes

Cameron, I thinks Matt’s comments summarize my view. IMO it’s those dark rich shadows that make this image work (especially in B&W). If anything I might consider a crop from the right. As presented, I think the extreme URC is another break in the pattern, which pulls my eye away from the stronger pattern break of the dark cracks on the left. I’d consider something like this…

1 Like

Hi Cameron,

I think I’m almost going to second Ed’s crop. I prefer the ridge into the corner in the bottom right, and I also felt that the pattern had “run out” in the URC. Ed’s crop eliminates that as well. But, checking closer, I think he has cropped in from the URC maintaining the aspect ratio and lost a bit of the top ridges on the right where one is more horizontal, and this is an area i like. So if aspect ratio isn’t important, I’d just come in from the right, but if you want to maintain that ratio… I don’t know!

Overall, I love the tones and feel.

1 Like

@John_Moses @Lon_Overacker @Adhika_Lie @Alan_Kreyger @Matt_Lancaster @Ed_McGuirk @James_Stubbs

Thanks for all of the great suggestions! I ended up making a slight crop to the top and right sides, did some brushwork in the upper right corner to emphasize an extra ridge that was lost in my original version, and did some subtle dodging and burning. I’ll post a rework in my original post.

1 Like