Curves Ahead

This is the first image that I processed after returning from my first landscape photography trip in 5 months. I saw that the weather was turning real bad with snow on the way at Zion National Park about a week ago. This got me super excited. I love both Zion and Bryce canyons in winter with white snow contrasting with the red rocks. I made plans for 5 days in Zion. The storm was chasing me the entire drive and by the time I arrived in the park it was under a blanket of fresh powder. I’m super excited now. I check into my hotel, unload the truck and head towards the main canyon where I’ve have a couple of images I wanted to get for a long time with fresh fallen snow. I arrive at the gate only to have a ranger tell me that the roads were closed and that they were trying to get them cleared but that it wouldn’t happen on this first day. More snow fell overnight and the story was the same for day two. By late in the day on day two the road did open but only up to the lodge. That wasn’t far enough for me to get my shots. At this point frustration began to creep in but after a few minutes I decided that I would get whatever I could until I had access to the main canyon. So I went looking for smaller scenes. With all the fresh powder everything looked amazing. I came across this lone rock that looked like it had carved up a nice little pathway with lots of curves. The light was great as I has soft shadows and muted light to work with. I was excited to grab my first shot of the trip and put behind me my frustration over not getting access to the canyons. Lately, when I go on my photography trips, I kind of just let things unfold. I take what I’m given. For this particular trip, I wanted snow on a couple of particular scenes and had the roads been open I would have had my shots. It was not meant to be but in the process of being shut down for my main purpose of the trip, I discovered shots I would never have seen. Enjoy your trips, take what your given, and make it more about the experience than the results.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

This shot was not right underfoot so I had to use my long lens at 400mm. The rock is not tack sharp but I’m wondering if it really matters. I think for me it’s more about the sweeping lines that appear to have been created by a moving rock racing across the landscape but we all know that’s not the case. I cooled the image down in post just a smidge and played with the shadows. Is there more that can be done, particularly with the shadows? I didn’t clone anything out but if you see anything that needs tending to, please let me know.

Technical Details

Z9, 100-400 mm lens @400mm, ISO 500, f/5.6, 1/250, manual mode, hand held

7 Likes

Outstanding find here, David. I really like the image as you’ve presented it too. Not sure about your point on the rock sharpness at this size, and my old eyes, but it seems just fine to me. Had you done any selective sharpening of it alone?..just a thought not any issues or nits.
ZNP was a fav of mine for MANY years. Until it got found by the world. Long before they even closed off the canyon to the lodge road.

2 Likes

Great story, David - very Zen. And so, by the way is this wonderful image. Very Zen, indeed. Without any symmetry at all, it feels perfectly balanced. As usual, your post processing enhances rather than getting in the way of your vision. Beautifully seen, grasshopper.
P.S. The softness in the rock is a an absolute plus in the context of this image where everything has a slightly dreamy feel.

I might not have centered this so much, but oh it’s a lovely, restful, enigmatic photo. So sweeping and serene. Excellent job recovering from expectations to embrace what was in front of you. This is a perfect example of a small scene that would have gone unnoticed had you had access to the canyons, etc.

Simply gorgeous!! The curves and balance are so perfect! The rock is sufficiently detailed, with wonderful texture. I love the cool shadows and the warmer more direct light on the snow.

I long to see what you missed, but this is a very worthy second prize.

Great philosophy to have, although it is not always easy, David. It is one I have tried to adopt myself. There is lots to like in this intimate snowscape. Lots of textures in the snow and the lighting is sublime as is the graceful curving line in the snow. This oozes a very zen like mood; so peaceful and serene. Nothing like a fresh coat of snow to boost one’s mood.

I echo all these comments, the image just grabs you and has a nice rhythm. I never thought to look at the rock sharpness. Nice find.

1 Like

I know what you speak of because I just had a similar experience in Death Valley. We had winds up to 70mph and I swear that I could feel the gritty sand when I clenched my jaw. I ended sleeping in my popup camper without popping it up.

There is a wonderful smoothness to this image that feels almost like cream. Although this is an image of a rock in snow I prefer to see it as a brown shape in a smooth white area. Instead of creating so much negative space and a center rock I tried a different composition with greater visual tension. Don’t know if it’s better but I kind of like it.

2 Likes

Hi David,

I know exactly how that feels. But you did a really good job and found a great alternative.

This is a nice small scene. I love the simplicity. And I really like your work with complementary colors. So I wouldn’t change anything.

Beautiful simplicity, David. This image has a wonderful elegance to it, too. I wouldn’t change a thing either.

1 Like

Hi David,
As soon I saw the thumbnail, I was pretty sure who the author was. I was not mistaken.

I very unique elegant image; clearly with your name on it.

I’m becoming very much (much more) a responsive photographer, and not a planning photographer.

Simply elegant and beautiful work David.

Truly stunning, David. I could just stare at this all day.

David, the only word that comes to mind is “sumptuous”! Wow, that curve and snow just looks so rich and soft and delicious, like whipped cream.
This also reminds me of Racetrack in Death Valley, but carved here in the snow. Congrats on finding this beauty even though it wasn’t your original plan.

1 Like

@Paul_Breitkreuz , @Kerry_Gordon , @Kris_Smith , @Diane_Miller , @Ed_Lowe , @CharlesV , @Igor_Doncov , @Jens_Ober , @Harley_Goldman , @joaoquintela , @Eva_McDermott , @Mark_Muller …Thank you for your thoughts and comments on this one. This trip was a reminder to simply enjoy the journey and the process of being out in the wild. I wanted and needed the weather to make the images that I planned out in my mind but it was also the weather that didn’t allow me to get those preconceived images.
This was a very simple scene, compressed with a long lens with the aperture wide open to soften the look and feel. think that came across as several of you mention that very thing however, I don’t think my intension was to soften the scene quite this much. A couple of you also mention that you may not have placed the rock so centered. Yep, I get that and I understand it, particularly after @Igor_Doncov posted his version of the scene which I agree, has way more tension to it and maybe not so minimalist. I quite like his vision and version. Thanks for taking the time everyone. I’m very appreciative of your thoughts!

1 Like

Oh my David, this is wonderful! Lot’s of comments along the lines of elegance, softness, creamy, etc. - which I totally agree with. What hasn’t been mentioned is the detail and the fine line of the sweeping ridge bordered by the shapes, light and shadow. Soft and elegant, yet refined. Not sure if that makes sense.

Hard to improve, but I think some trimming to reduce some of the empty space LR, but that’s pretty minor. I think somewhere between your original and Igor’s crop.

Well said David. Make lemonade as they say… :slight_smile:

Lon

ps. I may send you a note some time and inquire about the 100-400mm. If (when) I go mirrorless, I’d be looking at this lens. And for price, I’m hoping it’s a great performer!

This is a beautiful and elegant image and I love the curves in the snow around the rock. The gradations in the light on the snow are also really nice. Overall I think this is a well balanced and I like it quite a lot.

1 Like

Great story behind the image. I still struggle with expectations versus going with what presents itself. Wonderful find. In my mind I’m thinking the rock is surfing a wave of snow. I find the processing pleasing.

1 Like

Lon, it’s my favorite and sharpest landscape lens and can be easily hand held. It’s incredibly versatile. I’ll go into more depth if and when you want more information. Happy to help.

1 Like

@Tom_Nevesely , @Lon_Overacker , @DeanRoyer …thanks for your comments and suggestions. I love the analogy of the rock surfing the snow, Dean. As far as processing, I did almost nothing to this image. I shot it wide open to really blur the foreground and background and I’m thinking that’s what everyone is referring to when they talk about a dreamy or creamy look to this. Thanks for the compliment though. :slight_smile:
Lon, soft and elegant yet refined makes perfect sense. It was not exactly what I was going for when I took the image but it turned into something that I really like. Thanks for your comment, Lon.
Tom, I’m glad you like this one. It’s what ended my frustration at the beginning of this trip. I learned my lesson. More unexpected images to follow. :grin:

1 Like