Cypress trunks in fog (1 re-edit)

I’m not quite seeing what you all are with the LLC, but here is a slight horizon tilt, rotation and lens correction.

If you’ve wandered over to the blog you’ll see the series of posts about my time on a kayak tour of fall cypresses. I processed a lot of the images immediately, but left a few to percolate. This is one that I have gone back to a few times and am still not sure it works. The sun had just broken through the tree line and provided some depth to the image beyond what the fog accomplished.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does it work on its own? So many of these shots work in harmony with others and maybe this is one, too. I tried managing potential eye magnets and hotspots and to balance the composition while providing a focus area. Did I get it right? How else could this be strengthened?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Panasonic G9
Lumix G Vario 12-35mm f/2.8
Focal length 33 mm (66mm in 35mm terms)
f/5.6 | 1/50 sec | ISO 200
Handheld in a kayak

Extensive processing in Lr to enhance mood & compositional elements and a little in Ps to remove some distracting sticks and branches.

4 Likes

I think you have a lovely image – you captured some magic light and fog! I’m a little conflicted about the “horizon” being so close to the middle, but the reflection is lovely so I really can’t complain.

I have a feeling that the left edge is pulled up, maybe by lens distortion, or maybe just an illusion from those trees being more distant. I’d experiment with a slight rotation or a distort to pull the LL corner down a bit. Even when something like that ts accurate, it can be a distraction.

I don’t have any specific talking points, Kris but I like the moodiness of the photo.

I love this image…but then I’m a sucker for fog. The photo is subdued and peaceful. The soft, warm lighting and fog contribute to this feeling. I think the photo is balanced, with the two large trees on either side and background trees on either side of those. The reflections are lovely.

I love this image as well. The sunlight adds another dimension to this scene which works very well. After reading Diane’s comment I agree that there is a sense that the water surface is sloping downward from left to right.

Thanks everyone. Fog is a photographer’s best friend and we had two very foggy mornings in a back water off Caddo Lake. Freezing, but worth it.

I post a slightly changed shot above. Is it an improvement? I think it’s just the way the reflection was rendered, but who knows.

Yes, that’s better but I’d go a bit further. Turn on the rulers in PS (Cmd or Ctrl-R) and pull down a guide from the top ruler, to the bottom of the tree just R of center. Then do Edit > Transform > Distort and pull down the LL corner until the trunk of the left tree is just above the guide. I frequently find people don’t see geometric issues like this. Maybe I have calibrated eyeballs. You could also pull the UL corner straight out to make those 2 trees a bit closer to vertical, but you would lose some valuable real estate.

Caddo Lake!! I was there years ago – had a nice tour with a local guide with some awesome light, but unfortunately back in film days. Would LOVE to go back again!

Looks great and good job on the repost. I love the dreamy mood created by the fog and the other-worldly shape of the trunks. I quite like this one.

Thanks Harvey & Diane! You should see the rest of them!

As far as the rotation goes, I’ve already cut off a tree on the left and going further is going to really cut into the composition too much I think. I’m using Lr for this kind of thing. Have never done anything for lens correction in Ps before. Do the tools work differently and preserve the image contents?

A lovely capture, Kris. The report is a definite improvement, especially the lens correction. I do love fog, and might suggest a small crop off the bottom to reduce the non-foggy area just a bit. Your processing looks spot on to me. If I may ask, which tour did you go with? I live in NW Florida so Caddo Lake is a doable trip for me, and I’ve been wanting to shoot it for a while now.

Thanks, Bill. I’ll try a little shave and post a third try.

I went with Josh @ Wild Louisiana Tours. I’d been on a one-day kayak tour with him and liked the experience so when I saw he did a week in the fall I signed up. Wasn’t sure it would come off because of COVID, but it did and it was pretty great. Am thinking of doing it again.

You can check out my week of photos here - https://wickeddark.smugmug.com/Travel/Fall-Cypress--Tour

1 Like

Lovely! I love the mood; it has a true haunting feeling with the fog. I wonder if bumping the saturation of the background light might add to the mystery by adding color contrast? Here’s an example; it may not match with your vision but I kind of like the effect.

1 Like

That’s a nice version, too, John. The forms & colors work harmoniously to me.