Befuddled in Fog

I made these two images in dense fog on a raining morning. On a travel tour, I did not have the luxury of waiting for the light to change. The denseness of the fog made it difficult to even see the composition.

Specific Feedback Requested

I wanted to create a mysterious mood with the fog. I have not had much experience post-processing fog images. I would appreciate suggestions on how to make editing improvements. Please also include the steps you would take in making the improvements. I started editing in LRc, but did mostly used the TK8 panel in Photoshop. I am posting two images to illustrate the fog conditions and to learn from your suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Technical Details

Nikon D500, f8, 1/640 sec, ISO 400

2 Likes

I love fog. I find the colors and textures of the top image to be appealing. I would suggest cropping the empty area on the right and coming up from the bottom to above the bushes in the foreground. This would emphasize the most interesting part of the photo where the colored trees are. The darker trees would then be framing that central area. This is a lovely scene.

1 Like

Thanks, Chris, I have reposted following your suggestions. Better?

2 Likes

Hi Larry,

This is a lovely scene. For me, the softness of the trees that the fog provides tells a story of mystery. I agree with Chris and I think that your crop improves your photo.

I to am learning how to edit fog. So I’m not going to be any help there. I hope that you will get some pointers that I can make use of as well.

Larry, you may be just learning to deal with fog, but you’ve done a fantastic job. I like the repost you did based on @Chris_Baird’s suggestions. Well done.

This really is a lovely image. Like @Chris_Baird , I’m a fog lover and when I’m in the backcountry I try to be up in the pre-dawn for the outstanding light that filters through fog. I think you’ve handled the light very well in this image, not pushing the colour or the contrast too much but just enough to allow for plenty of interesting detail. I am going to be a dissenter on the cropping or at least the extent of it. While the cropped image is quite nice, it does lose something by becoming more static and personally, I think less interesting. The uncropped image accentuates the diagonal that moves from the upper left to the lower right of the frame and gives the image more of a sense of dynamism. That being said, I might have composed the image slightly differently by giving the tall tree a little more room up top. This looks like a 16:9 crop. Do you have a bit more room above?

Yes, in my opinion, this is a stronger image. I like it a lot.

This is a very nice image and I also think you handled the fog well. Dehaze in LR can sometimes help with fog. Hmmmm, after looking back and forth at the original and the cropped, I think I agree with @Kerry Gordon. The original gives the photo more room to breath and I stay focused on this photo more than the cropped. I get a better scene of the environment. I think the BR tree helps fill in the empty space on the R and keeps it from looking like a big empty space. Maybe cropping in just a little bit on that R side would help. I like all the shades of greens and just those hints of orange you captured. Great job!!

David, Thanks for your comment that helps to endorse what I was trying to achieve. No matter our level of expertise, we are all always learning and striving to improve how we see and present our images to convey our vision. I appreciate your input.

Kerry, I can see points you make about retaining the original without the crop. Having both your view and Chris’ perspective really helps me evaluate this image and also offers insight for evaluating other images as well. About the composition, the fog was so dense I really couldn’t compose carefully . This was a shot in the fog hoping I could get a decent image out of it. Thanks again.

Thanks, Donna . You @Kerry_Gordon , @David_Starr , and @Chris_Baird have been most helpful.

Nice job! I love this composition

Thanks, Marie. Larry

My 2 cents a couple days late, both are nice renderings in a foggy autumn scene, it’s a great shot with wonderful shapes and textures. If you crop the foreground out you should keep the wide angle shot and present the image in a more panoramic format. I would to see more of the scene.

On the second image I think you could crop out the foggy right side and let the trees with their shapes and colors do all the talking. Would have liked to see the entire evergreen in the tree in the TLC. Really like the rocks in the TRC. Looks like you are in nice alpine country. What was your location?

I agree with you on both images and will crop the rt side on the pine tree image. Thanks for your helpful comments. The location is Sintra, Portugal at the Pena Palace on top of a mountain. The fog was so dense, I could hardly see to do any composing.