Befuddled in Fog Redux

This is another of the shots I made trying to see through dense fog atop the mountain in Sintra, Portugal. As a tourist, I could not wait for conditions to change.

Specific Feedback Requested

Please comment on the overall editing. Is there enough definition in the upper portion of the image? I left the colors muted. Is there enough color or should I add vibrance or contrast? Thanks for helping me learn to edit fog.

Technical Details

Nikon D500, f 7.1, 70-200 mm at 122mm, 1/600 sec, ISO 400

Larry, I like the pano format. It is another dark, moody, mountain fog image and the muted colors work to that end. You could play with the highlight slider to get a little more liveliness through the fog. These are good images to play with during processing, all depends on what and how you want to present. I do think a little more definition in the upper layer area would be beneficial to the scene. You could mask the top as a linear gradient and play with the negative contrast, negative exposures and the increase whites sliders. Or just see what a clarity choice does for the definition. I like the image.

Thanks @Stephen_Stanton for your suggestions. I will try them .

Wonderful forest in fog scene, Larry. I agree with @Stephen_Stanton that the fog could be brightened some and a bit more detail added to the trees…kind of a fun thing to find the balance there. I think the composition works quite well.

@Stephen_Stanton and @David_Bostock I have reposted below. I followed your suggestions and also used PS TK8 panel. Thanks to both of you.

1 Like

Nice improvement. I like it.

Looks good, the changes give the scene more life.

A beautiful image Larry. I love the mood and the mystery here. I was going to suggest brightening the fog a little bit but I now see that you already did that and I quite like it. :slight_smile:

@Stephen_Stanton @David_Bostock @Stephen_Stanton , I appreciate your comments and help. I have been able to apply what I have learned here to other images as well. Thanks.