D500 for landscape photography

A few weeks ago I asked about the d7500 and it’s suitability for landscape. My budget has increased (thanks to an understanding wife) and I am going to purchase the d500.

I plan on getting into wildlife photography but mainly shoot landscape, seascapes and waves.

To me, this seems like a good all rounder for what I need and given that it shares the same sensor as the d7500 then the feedback for this would be the same?

I appreciate your real world feedback as I’ve exhausted YouTube and Internet reviews.

Kind regards
Chris

Chris, I responded to your earlier post and shoot a D7500. I have a friend who shoots the D500 and we have found the images to be virtually identical. The sensors are the same. There are pros and cons to each depending upon your personal preferences. With either I really like the 16-80 nikon lens for many of my landscape shots.

Thanks Alan. I’m just thinking it will future proof me for when I inevitably get into wildlife :joy:

Chris,
I’ve been using a D500 for couple of years although mainly for wild life (mostly birds). I use a full frame D750 for most everything else. Because of it’s auto-focus system (same system as a D5 I believe) and wide dynamic range it’s fantastic for wildlife. My only nit with it is it tends to be a bit power hungry. Battery life isn’t near as long as other Nikon bodies I’ve had. It is well built and the XQD cards are very fast. One recommendation I would make though is if you think you may go to a full frame body someday start investing in FX glass. You’ll spend more money yes but they’ll be useful on bodies whether c-size or full.

John

1 Like

Thanks John

The D500 is a camera designed primarily for action photography. At lower ISO, the colors are buttery smooth with no detectable noise. You can generate a lot of exposures in very little time so it can come in handy for catching scenes that are ephemeral. Dynamic range is very good and you should be able to snag some ideal images for landscape photography. I like mine and it does a pretty good job…Jim

1 Like

Thanks Jim

Just my two cents, but I think you need to make a decision on what you want to shoot in the end. My wife has a camera for wildlife shooting and one for landscapes. The wildlife body has a faster FPS and a better AF system. Wildlife can fall into the action sports category due to movement. Also, research the low light performance thoroughly because a lot of animal shots will come in dimly lit situations given it’ll be dawn and dusk more often than not.

I think it’ll come down to how serious you are with one style versus the other. Are you 50/50 with wildlife and landscape or is it more wildlife with landscape mixed in vice versa.

Just something to consider.

Thanks Bobby. I ended up taking the plunge and I’m really happy with it. I take a lot of images of waves so wanted something that could handle that.