Dahlia Interpretations

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Dahlias are beginning to bloom and this bicolor variety provided an interesting subject for BW and color photography. A strong thunderstorm dumped a lot of rain, but the ever present wind dried the flower quickly. I used a fine spray of glycerin and water for the water droplets. The flower was photographed in situ with a towel to provide shade . Three flashes were used to provide balanced fill light. I like the BW over the color because the highlights have been tamed down.

Specific Feedback

Cropping was limited due to the fact that motion from the wind caused some stacking issues when all the images were aligned in Zerene Stacker. I used a 4x5 crop with the flower’s center placed slightly to the LH side. How do you feel about the crop and which version do you prefer?

Technical Details

D850 200mm f4 Micro (1/200sec at f9.0, ISO 160, 14 image stack (Pmax), fill flash) DeNoise, Crop for Comp, Levels, WB…Jim

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Nice job on these images, Jim. In this case I prefer the B&W. Not just for the highlights, but the center of the color image feels rather flat to me. I think if you gave it a bit more light and maybe played with the spot color tool on a radial mask of the center you could make it compete better with the B&W.

1 Like