Damp Woodpecker

I went out in the backyard this gloomy morning in the rain (well I was protected) and got some shots of a male nuttall’s. There are a lot of twigs and branches in the frame. I don’t have the urge to clone out any. If I were to mess with any of it I’d maybe remove that large dark branch under him.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I like the wet look of the environment and the semi-puffed up subject looking like he’s wishing it would stop raining.

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, monopod, 1/1000th, f 8.0, 720mm, ISO 22800, cropped to 2646 x 2066, Photo AI.

An expressive pose for sure. I don’t mind the branches as they work as a frame and don’t cross over his face or anything important. The big dark one there could go if you wanted to take the time. It’s visually quite heavy. The wet atmosphere comes through really well and I really like that fluffed aspect of the feathers. The shadows and exposure in the bird seem a little dark to me and I think opening them a little might put a little more attention on him. You could also crop a teeny bit to get rid of the orange bit on the far right. Engaging shot for sure.

Howdy, Dave. A nice environmental shot of this woodpecker. I especially enjoy it because we don’t have Nuttall’s in this neck of the woods. I guess you could remove the dark branch under him, but it doesn’t bother me. As @Kris_Smith noted, you might clone out that orange spot at the edge of the frame on the right. I like the message the photo conveys of a wet atmosphere. Nicely done.

Terrific pose, Dave. Agree with the others. This is a nicely framed shot. The anticipation of the Nuttall’s Woodpecker is very evident. Well seen. Excellent work with the noise at ISO 22800.