Damselflies ovipositing + RP

And a RP with more room top and right:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I finally got to my favorite Dragonfly pond yesterday. There were a few DFs but not very close and flying fast. There were a lot of Damselflies and I had several chances for some ovipositing. Maneuvering to get them in the focal plane without disturbing them (and doing a face plant in the water) is a challenge, and I’m certain they get smaller every year.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 8.14.54 AM

Highlights brought down in LR, then into PS for some minor BG cleanup and a crop to about 70% of the original frame. Next time I’ll try some focus stacking but they were not still enough and I had to resort to hand holding to get in better positions. The small tripod was too awkward to manage on a steep bank; I’ll try the monopod next time.

Wow, Diane, this is really a great shot of these little guys. The details are spot on sharp in both of the Damselflies. I’m sure this wasn’t an easy shot, but in my opinion, you really certainly pulled it off nicely. I don’t think focus stacking could improve this shot any better than what you have here. If you have the real estate at the top (you didn’t mention if you cropped any) I could see adding a touch at the top to give the Blue one (male) room to fly off. Just a thought. You even got the reflection in the water of male. Well done!

Thanks, @Shirley_Freeman – it does look a little cramped. I’ve put up a RP – it is the full frame except a slight crop from the right where there was no visual weight. Also tweaked the WB a little – the water was murky and not a pretty color.

Yes, I like what you did. I think it helped.

Really nice behavioral capture Diane. Terrific to get both damsels sharp as you did. Including the full reflection of the lower damselfly is a nice bonus and I like seeing the vegetation that will host the eggs. Either crop works for me. Nice frame.