Damselflies ovipositing

And as soon as I posted I realized it had the look I once heard described (in the context of B/W prints) as wet cement. Here’s a correction:

Another old one (2015) dug up while looking to populate a new gallery on my website. This was an intentional focus stack with the primitive tools I had then, of just doing manual focus on one area then a different one. No time to mess with moving a focus point – just manual focus as quickly and accurately as I could with the viewfinder, which has always been good enough.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Canon 7D2, 100-400 II + 1.4X at 560 (784 FF equiv), ISO 800, f/10, 1/1000 sec, tripod. Processed the raw files in the current LR process with minimal global tonal tweaks. Two frames (one focused on each DF) stacked and aligned in PS and hand masked. Focus didn’t catch the lower middle of the male’s abdomen but I’m pleased I got what I did. Denoise in PS and minor BG cleanup. Increased contrast on the male’s wings.

1 Like

Wow, Diane, that is quite the shot. I find these little guys hard to get them to pose for you, and you managed to capture the two of them. I don’t think I have ever witnessed this before so kudos for capturing this shot.

The sharpness of both damsel’s and their shadows looks very good.

Oh I meant to comment on this one and got lost in the shuffle. Super presence of mind to see and get a stack done, too! The second version really pops in terms of making us see all that lovely detail. I’ve never been able to get a photo of them doing this. I only recently managed one of the mating ring they make that is kind of heart shaped. Brava!

Thanks, @Shirley_Freeman, @Mark_Seaver and @Kris_Smith! This was a good day for these guys and I got quite a few shots of several pairs.

Sometimes, going back through old shoots makes me wonder if I really need to be upgrading equipment as much as I do. (But… of course I do!!)

1 Like