Dancing Cypress

Taken from a boat on Caddo Lake in East Texas. 4 image vertical pano blended in LR then taken into Photoshop to make edits including removing distracting elements and duplicating some elements along the edges.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any thoughts/comments are welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

@pixeldave
4 Likes

Great color! I was on the far eastern edge of Caddo for a workshop in November 2020 and didn’t see any color this intense. I like the arrangement and the processing. I wonder if an experiment with cropping would be of interest. The graceful curves are obviously what attracted you - a scroll crop off the top strengthens this aspect of the photo in my opinion. You could also try a little light sculpting in the canopy. If you use the TK8 panel in Photoshop, it would be very easy to do. Super shot and welcome back to NPN.

1 Like

Stately trees and gorgeous color but I’m wondering if it’s just a bit too saturated. The blurring of the water is a nice idea but the base of the trunks is unnatural-looking. There is a cloning (or something) mistake near the LL edge.

1 Like

Love the beautiful vibrant colors :heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

Hey welcome back, David. This is an awesome image indeed. I really like the sensuous feel of the trees. I might consider pulling back the saturation a bit, but that’s a really minor nit. Well done.

1 Like

I love the composition, the shapes of the trees, and the really neat reflections of the trunks. I also like the subtle repetition of shapes between the foreground and background trees. Despite having these wonderful ingredients, for me personally the orange saturation is so strong that it competes somewhat with all the other wonderful elements that I enjoy in the image. I think a softer, quieter version of this image would be even stronger.

1 Like

This is beautiful.
I’m a color guy so I love your photo, but i realize i little less saturation would be perfect

1 Like

Kris, thanks for the feedback. The sculpting idea is a good one. I tried various crops on this and settled here. With the crop off the top, my eye kept wanting to leave the image. I also completely understand the color intensity comments and realized this wasn’t actually my final version of this image as the blending wasn’t complete at the bottom as well. The final version was a bit more muted with the complete blending at the bottom.

Diane, thanks for your feedback. I agree the saturation needed attention as did the blending error at the bottom. I realized after posting this wasn’t my final version for print but still wanted the feedback.

David, thanks for the feedback. I agree saturation is a bit overdone.

What a beautiful image David. the composition, the subjects, and the fall colors sure make for a gorgeous image but like some of the others, I think the saturation is just to much and a softening of the oranges would help. I also think that you could have another interesting composition by using the lower 60% or so of the frame and making this about the trunks themselves and turning this into and landscape crop. This is well conceived from a moving boat. What a trip you must have had. Caddo is on my bucket list and this image just reinforces that thought. You have the makings of a great print here David! Don’t be a stranger. Would love to see more of your work.

Love this image. The tree on the right can really move her hips. She’s definitely feeling the music. My only suggestion is a nitpick. The small green patch on the right is a bit strong in color.