Dark-eyed Junco and re-post

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I like how the background complements the Junco. I was also impressed how little noise there was at ISO 20,000. I did run some noise reduction, though.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts appreciated. Is the sharpening okay?

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 with 1.4 TC at 700 mm; 1/1000 at f10; ISO 20,000.

1 Like

Great junco image, Allen. I’d never have suspected iso 20K on this.

2 Likes

The BG goes well with the subject. Sharpening is fine and noise reduction looks pretty good too, Well done…Jim

1 Like

The detail on the bird is very nice – I assumed 20K must be a typo. This one has nice color – ours have quite a variety of coloration.

For my taste, the leaves compete with the bird in terms of visual weight. I wonder how you would feel about cropping off about the bottom half of the leaves and adding some canvas above the bird.

Hi @Diane_Miller , No typo; 20000 ISO is correct. Amazing what the R5 can do (and I assume all newer cameras as well). I didn’t have to crop much, which I’m sure helped. I forgot to include it in the techs, but there was +1 EC, so exposed to the right, which probably helped as well. Used the “low light” setting you like in Topaz DeNoise and that took care of the small amount of noise present. I agree that some crop off the bottom would shift the “weight” to the junco. I’ll give it a try. Thanks for you comment and all the ideas you provide on this forum.

And thanks back, Allen, for your participation and contributions here! It’s cloudy not-bright today – I’m going to go hang out at the feeders and try higher ISOs! I’ve been cringing at 1600. But you are so right about overexposure, if you can get away with it for the whites.

1 Like

Very nice capture. If it were mine, I’d look at increasing the contrast a little. Still works for me as is, though

1 Like

Really nice Allen. Image quality looks great to me. Amazing for ISO 20,000. Sharpness and lack of noise are spot on. I could see trying a version cropping in some from the bottom but the original works for me also.

1 Like

Hi, Allen - as you wrote yourself to me the main appeal is how the background complements the Junco. Amazing what can be done at ISO20.000, I can only dream of that. Good work ! hans

1 Like

I re-posted a version based on @Diane_Miller 's suggestion. I think I like this version better.