Dark-eyed Junco, Oregon Race

This species is one of my favorite to photograph. While not colorful, I consider them extremely photogenic. Since I had just put this perch up it was unanointed and didn’t require any touch up in processing, so this was a really simple image to handle.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
A7Riv, FE200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 654 mm, tripod with ball head and Sidekick mount, f/9, 1/400, iso 1000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. The only things I did to this image were to crop and rotate slightly, apply noise reduction, and brighten the face just a touch. No sharpening applied other than the defaults. Taken May 10th at 8:58 AM.

1 Like

Hi Dennis
It is easy to see why the Junco, is a photograph target of your. The frame is nice and the Junco has good color balance, with great detail and eye contact.
Peter
Ps
On YouTube I have heard that the A7R4 has sensor collects dust and needs to be cleaned every day?
It was also stated the A7R4 buffer write time is vary slow and that keeps the camera tied up until each burst of shots is stored on the card memory?
How is your camera working for you?

@peter I have found dust bunnies on the sensor a couple of times. Sony doesn’t seem to go through an ultrasonic clean every time you fire it up the way Canon does. However, it hasn’t been a real issue. I don’t consider the write speed slow, the files are just huge. I set my burst rate at medium, which I think is 8fps. I did an experiment with new V60SD cards recently and quit at 75 frames without an issue. I did have some buffering issues with older cards. You can get V90 cards that are even faster, but they’re pretty pricey. The V60 cards were about $90 a pair.

Hi Dennis
Thank you for the information.
Peter

Excellent post, color, detail, background, and perch. I really like the leg position in this image and that’s what makes it work for me.

I haven’t had any problem with dust bunnies on the sensor of my A7r4, at least no more than any other mirrorless camera. Additionally, if one uses fast memory cards, the buffer is not an issue with the A7r4. I have been using Sony SD cards which write at 300 mb/s.

Nice image . The black head is exposed very well and there is nice detail in the bird. It also stands our from the background really well.