Dark-eyed Junco in Typical Northwest Winter Setting

I liked the pose in this one and the typical dark Douglas Fir setting of our area. There was a little patch of light where it perched.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m not sure about the crop, but I wanted to retain the tuft of needles in the upper right.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony a6500, FE200-600 @ 553 mm, gimbal head mounted to blind window, f/8, 1/400, iso 2500, fill flash at -2.7 EV, manual exposure. Processed in LR and PS CC. Cropped to 5026x3770 mostly from the left and bottom. Brighter twigs in the background subdued and a couple of pieces of bird poop removed. Taken December 24th at 8:59 am.

1 Like

Head Turn and eye contact from a Junco is excellent. Nice processing, pops nicely from the BG.
4 x 5 leaves in the nice upper branch also. Wouldn’t change a thing.

Wonderful sharpness and tonal detail on the bird, and lovely soft BG. I love the foliage in the UR to balance the bird. For me, the branch exiting the LL corner and the two brighter ones exiting the bottom of the frame pull me eye out of the frame. It wouldn’t be too difficult to burn them down a bit, in a gradient from the edges. Maybe also for the one parallel to the right edge, just a bit. A tiny bit more canvas on the left could get the branch exit out of the corner without unbalancing the composition. But small nits for a lovely image! The bird looks very content in a cozy environment!

A really nice pose Dennis. It seems to reflect the nice comfortable personality of the Junco. And good job with the habitat also.

1 Like

Superb color palette, detail, pose, and environment.