Dark-eyed Junco& Repost

When I was shooting during the snow a few days ago, I caught this Junco in an almost vertical pose which isn’t common for this species. I liked the way it showed off the plumage and I liked this head turn. I decided the background, while busy, was sufficiently subdued that I left it alone other than cropping.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything you notice.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does the busy background bother you?

Any pertinent technical details:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 421 mm, gimbal head mounted to blind, f/8, 1/400, iso 2000, manual exposure. Noise reduction with Neat Image, processing with PS & LR CC. Cropped from a horizontal, full height.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Dennis,
As you mention interesting pose for a Junco. Nice exposure and details. The “habitat” works for me. I think getting the bird off center would help - move it closer to the left and add space on the right.

Hello Dennis now you can see hello repeat avian images, LOL.

I like the image very much just as it is. I blew it way up and it appears the sharpness is there. Yes it may be a little busy behind the bird but that’s just the way it is you photograph them where you see them. I never have many issues with natural habitat. All in all a fine portrait of a Dark-eyed junco. We mostly see them here when it snows and they’re playing around on the ground. Thanks for posting Dennis.

Yes this is an unusual pose but I really like it. Despite all the branches in the back the darkness of the background allows the bird to pop really well. I’m okay with the center framing. It appears that there’s a lot of reflected light off the snow somewhat giving the impression that this was flashed.

I did another crop with the bird to the left per @Allen_Sparks suggestion. Here it is. I think I still lean a bit more toward the original crop, but this one does work as well.

Yes, with the main branch more dominant in the repost, the original version seems better to me. Thanks for reposting.