Dark-eyed Junco (yes, another one)

Description:

One from a real snow day-one day earlier than the last couple I’ve posted. For my taste the background bird works in this image, but I’m interested in how others react to it.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Background bird? The looking-away pose?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? No.
Sony A7Riv, FE200-600 @ 600 mm, gimbal head mounted to blind, f/8, 1/500, iso 1600, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 7656x5508, Neat Image for noise reduction, Topaz Detail 3 for feather enhancement. I increased exposure and saturation on the bird relative to the background and burned a couple of particularly bright snow patches that I found distracting.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Looks great Dennis. I like the opposing body positions of birds but they are looking same direction. The little glint in bg bird 's eye is a big aid I think as well as the bit of separation between them. I like the snow flakes or rain drops. I could also see a bit of a crop pulling the bottom lc up a bit. Looks good.

The BG bird works for me - looks like it’s saying: “I’ve got your back” to it’s Junco Partner (that was a great tune by James Booker, lol). Maybe crop a wee bit from the left.I love the snowflakes too. Nicely done, Dennis.

I don’t mind the second bird - juncos are nearly always found in flocks. The tilt of the head looking into the falling snow is great. Maybe just a little slice off the left to get rid of that branch. A smashing little pair.

I personally like additional, oof critters in the frame, Dennis - as long as they’re not just a blur. This is a nice one. It’s okay with me that he’s looking away. The colors are great, as is the snow.

I’d say the background bird adds, rather than detracts, from the composition. Hard to say why, exactly, but I wonder if I’d feel the same if there wasn’t snow in the background. Anyway, a very nice winter scene.

Nice 3D feel to the comp. I am enjoying the comp, perch, and OOF Junco. Well done. I also appear to have a subscription to the All Junco All the Time Channel.

Sweet!! You have chubby ones too!! I love the two and the way they are posed, with the OOF one being an important supporting actor. I second the crop from the left to get rid of the partial snowy branch, and I’d even try enough to get rid of the vertical one farther in. A squarish crop would work for the chubby poses. I had to play with it --d id a tweak more cloning, too.

Really nice image Dennis. The background bird works for me. I’m going back and forth between the original crop and Diane’s repost. They both work for me.

Hi @Diane_Miller. I like the alternate crop. My mind doesn’t seem to come up with square crops very often, but I like this.