Dark Eyed Junco

Description:I went out to search for a male cardinal with snow. They showed up, but way to close for the 600mm. I staked out an area that had some seed proximal to a brush pile hoping for the target to perch on an ideal branch. Juncoes inundated the area and this guy was listening to the autofocus and took quite a few shots. Overall, I cropped it down for this composition and removed a few orphaned sticks on the lower right and mid to upper left. I was quite happy with the end result.

Specific Feedback Requested: How do you like the comp?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 600mm f4 (1/1000 sec at f7.1, ISO 640) Crop for comp, Topaz DeNoise AI, Shadows & Highlights to brighten up shadow, Brightness and Contrast, Rubber stamp tool for branch removal and used a slight gaussian blur with a layer mask to smooth out any irregularities from the cloning.

Is this a composite? No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

Hi Jim, I like the complimentary background of white/gray to show off the junco. Fine details and exposure on the bird. Nice head turn too. I wish the branch intersecting the lower part of the bird was not there but this is still quite a fine image. Pleasing composition as well.

1 Like

Excellent, Jim. I love the head turn and the snow makes a great background for a Junco. The branch behind the bird doesn’t bother me, especially since it’s in good focus. The composition works very nicely for my taste.

1 Like

Nicely done, Jim. Good detail in bird and a nice background to show off his gray.

1 Like

Very nice photo of the Junco Jim. Crop and composition look good. For some reason Juncos and snow go well together.

1 Like