Dark Eyed Junco on Tulip Tree

Description: After nearly a foot of snow fell, the sun decided to come out. Sitting out in a snow bank with 11 degree temps can be rewarding. Another 5 degrees and its off with the gloves. I cropped it to leave both tulip tree fruits in the frame. I may want to nuc that dark spot in trhe upper rh part of the frame.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 600mm f4 (1/2500sec at f7.1, ISO 1000). Crop for Comp, DeNoise, Levels, Shadows & Highlights, Brightness & Contrast. I left most of the blowing snow in the BG…Jim

Is this a composite?

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Pleasant look at this junco. Good job on the pose, detail, and color. I think I would probably cropping a little closer to get rid of the upper branch in the black object behind the tulip.

1 Like

This won’t enlarge for me – I saw that the other day with a post.

I love the sparse setting and the very interesting branches! I like @David_Schoen’s crop suggestion. The blossoms on this tree are lovely if you can find one at the right angle – I’m looking forward to May in hopes of finding some nice ones.

1 Like

A nice clean look at the Junco on a good looking perch. I am with David on cropping out the branch. Perhaps long and narrow keeping the nice darker area on left side. Unless you can nuc the dark area and then keep the snow flakes on top left.

1 Like

A really nice image, Jim. I like the composition as is and I think cropping out the upper flower would be too much because it would lose the upper left. Removing the dark patch is a good compromise or cropping part way and cloning over the partial flower and stem.

Hi Jim! I’m with Dennis! I love it the way it is. I think the dark parts in the background make it more interesting as well as match the dark parts of the Junco. I think it’s neat how both the light and dark gray in the BG mimic the colors of the bird and then the flowers bring out the beak and tinges of tan/light brown/taupe/whatever everyone wants to call it, on the feathers!Also the dark BG behind the top flower makes it stand out more. Just my opinion. Very beautiful photo!

I like the setting very much and I too like both branches. I read the other comments and I was torn on the dark patch behind the upper branch so I wanted to see what it would look like with that removed. Here’s the result. I like it better without the darker area.

PS. I saw that this post wasn’t showing the larger version of the image. I fixed that for this image.

1 Like

Nice look at the Junco, Jim with a good pose and a good BG, With or without the tweaks, it’s a keeper.

1 Like