Dark-eyed Junco & Repost

The feeder birds haven’t been very active, so I haven’t been spending time in my blind this fall. However, I noticed a fair amount of activity yesterday, so I spent a while there this morning. Not a huge amount of variety, but some of the Juncos were reasonably cooperative. This one perched up in a Douglas Fir for quite some time. This head-on, open-beak shot appealed to me.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. Not much done to this except removing some white spots here and there and straightening and a small crop.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I deliberately kept this pretty dark and saturated to reflect the feel of the overcast and shaded condition. Does it still work?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony A6500, FE200-600 @ 600 mm, gimbal head mounted to blind, f/8, 1/400, iso 2500, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC, noise reduction using Neat Image. Final size was 5116x3560. Taken at 9:54 this morning.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

I think the image is a bit dark, but the open beak is very nice.

A dandy pose and nicely placed in the tree and frame. You have captured the mood but perhaps a bit on the dark side. I wonder if just lightening up the bird a bit would work for you.

Love the scolding look you got, Dennis. Love the dark background , but my first reaction to the image was the Junco is too dark.

Great look you captured, one that makes me smile ! Love the darkish atmosphere in the shot, it somehow suits very well ! Cheers, Hans

Nice capture, Dennis. I’ve never been scolded by a Junco! I agree with the others it may be a bit dark, but I tend to like dark photos. Perhaps lighten the Juno a bit.

Dennis, this is very nice. He does look like he is giving you a good scolding. I love face on images of birds where you can see both eyes, but the beak so wide open really makes the shot even better. I am good with the exposure. The dark seems to work well, and to me on my monitor, the Junco seems fine. Great shot. Glad that you were able to get out in the blinds again.

I brought the exposure up a fair amount on the entire image and the relative exposure of the bird up just a bit more. Let me know what you think.

The RP is much better. Nice eye contact and mouth.

I like this much better, Dennis. Nicely done.

A nice setting and a unique pose. The repost works better for me. Nice detail,

I think the greens are still dark and rich enough to feel the cool damp weather. Plus the water drops make it even more so. I prefer the repost. Neat pose.

Repost much better…

Hi Dennis
Looks like I am late to the party.
It looks like the Juncos it not please with you taking its photograph. You did a great job catching the Juncos expression and the Douglas fir environment.
Peter

Hi Dennis,

Repost is spot on. I think that your added brightness generates moire interest to the eye. Love the pose…Jim