Dark-eyed Junco

I set up a new feeder last week, hoping for better light this time of year. This little guy was harvesting the spilled sunflower seeds when he perched on this branch for a few seconds and I fired away. It was dumb luck I saw him as the branch was laying on the ground for possible use later propped up by the feeders.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 100-500 + 2X at 1000mm, ISO 1600, f/13, 1/400 sec, tripod, no blind – just sitting quietly behind the camera with my hands on it for a fast draw. Basically nothing done in LR, a little cloning on the perch and NR in PS.

1 Like

Awesome catch, Diane. Excellent comp and background. We have several Oregon Juncos nesting in our back yard. I should set up a feeder for them and start photographing them.

As soon as I spotted this image, I knew it was yours. It’s gorgeous. One of your sayings Diane; “luck favours the prepared”.

The little bird has given you a great pose on a lovely, oposing diagonal perch. Love the OOF grasses in the BG.

I wonder if you would consider burning down the circular, brighter spot in the lower left corner? And, a suggestion, not a critiscism; I took the image in PS and added a bit more canvas on the left and a smaller extension on the top.

Excellent image of this Junco, Diane. I do like the suggestion of a bit more room on the left. This species really likes cover. Brush piles with some protruding perches make great setups for them.

Good pose and detail. You have a nice perch for them and the background works well. I could see removing some of the bright spots towards the bottom.

Thanks @David_Bostock, @glennie, @Dennis_Plank and @Allen_Brooks! I see the point about needing more on the left. There was a large, bright grass leaf there that looked too difficult to clone out, so I cropped it out, but I could have added a little canvas with content-aware fill after doing so, and I’ve done that here. Also removed a few of the OOF dewdrops near the bottom edge. I think it’s definitely an improvement.

2 Likes

Love the RP Diane! I’m pleased you spent the time on this image.

Outstanding image with excellent detail,exposure,head turn. The repost is better. I might clone away the other two dew drops as the on in the left lower corner pulls my eye. I have many juncos in my yard year round. While they are common, they can be a challenge to photograph well.

Nice shot, Diane - and I do love the repost best, since there’s some space around the bird. Sharp and detailed images, no nits from my side. Cheers, Hans

The exposure and colors look spot on Diane! Any chance that you could have gotten lower to maker a better eye connection ?

Thanks, @Karl_Zuzarte – no chance this time – I was seated behind the tripod with the camera about 3 ft high and the bird hopped on this branch on the ground under the feeders, about 15 ft away. I barely had time to aim down and grab a shot. But I decided I like the perch and moved it slightly to stabilize it better, which put it against a slightly more distant BG, looking down a hillside. Now I need another cloudy morning… There are a couple of perches near the feeders which are at eye level to the camera. I’ll be posting some, but the BG is very plain – OOF distant trees.