Dark-eyed Junco

These little guys are plentiful here, and this one was caught in a redwood tree, without even a feeder for inducement. But they know there is one nearby…

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome! Not the best head turn but that’s what I was given.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon EOS R5, 100-500 2X, ISO 5000, f/14 (wide open), 1/80 sec, sturdy tripod with Wimberley II head, luck. Minor BG cloning to remove 2 branches. Minor LR adjustments, Topaz Denoise in PS.

Actually, I kind of liked the head turn and pose. I guess it might be better with a bit more of a head turn to eliminate the hint of the left eye. But, excellent detail and a nice background.

This is very pretty, a great rendition of a common bird. I like how everything is flowing left to right. Details on the bird are really nice. I like the splintering on the perch a lot, but the varied BG might be the best part of the image. Don’t believe I see any clone marks.

Nice pose and head turn. Good job on the exposure. I think your depth of field could be a tad higher or you had some motion blur from breathing. The sharpest area that I note in the image is the wing and the eye. Breast plumage and head plumage with the exception of the eye could be a tad sharper.

Lovely pose and well-exposed. Love the backlight crowning the head a bit. Nice job ! Cheers, Hans

Very nice, Diane. I’ve always considered this one of the most photogenic species in our area and this image shows it well. The head turn is just fine. Interesting that with all that glass f/14 seems to have provided just about the right depth of field for a smallish bird.

Very nice. I think the head turn is just fine. I especially like that you did not over do the fine feather details which I sometimes do.

I think it has a nice HA… pleasing photograph of a very nice species…