Dark Falls

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

Overall I tend to like dark images and this one fits that bill.

Creative direction

I like my images to create a sense of isolation and moodiness, perhaps a place that most people never see.

Specific Feedback

I shot this both with and without a polarizing filter. Even though there is some glare on the rocks I liked this version better. I will come back and post the polarized image for comparisson. I would like to know what others think.

Technical Details

Canon R5 6 sec; f/11; ISO 100; 24mm with 24-70 mm f2.8 lens

Description

We travelled out to New Hampshire but the fall colors this year werent what we had hoped for. On an intermittently rainy day we took a hike to this falls near Mount Washington and I was delighted in how that composition presented itself.

1 Like

Honestly, I have to say that I like the second version of the image more. The original has too many dark tones and as a result I feel the second image is more inviting making me want to look at it longer. Overall though, I think you composed this very nicely and the image has a nice flow to it. I also like the warm coloured leaves on the foreground rock. They add a lot of interest to the image.

1 Like

John,

Great to see a post from you! Excellent scene and image. I especially like the balance in the composition - despite the fact that the cascading water pretty much divides the scene in half. And that’s ok because all the elements go together and this just has a solid look and composition.

I pretty much agree with Tom’s comments and lean towards the 2nd version. I know you mentioned you prefer the darker images, and I assume that also means the heavier contrast? Specifically, the contrast in and around the upper falls. Iinteresting, I like the falls and the upper background in the 2nd version, but I am really liking the glossy and darker look of the rocks in the original top version. Maybe combining the two???

But in either case, the wet rocks, the sheen as well as the sprinkling of leaves and color on the rocks make them stand out nicely in this scene.

Also am glad there is some texture in the water - especially in the lower cascade. I think you handled the water very nicely given the long shutter speed.

Otherwise, no nits or suggestions. Beautifully captured.

Lon

1 Like

Lon. I never thought of merging these two images but I’ll give it a try and post it later today when I get home. Thanks for the advice.

Having grown up and lived most of my life in NH, I think this is pretty evocative of the gorges these kinds of falls are often found in. Not super bright down there a lot of the time even when the sun is high, so the dark is expected for me. Folks unfamiliar would probably connect with the lighter version and it has its strengths as well. Combining the polarized and the unpolarized shots could be interesting. I often do dodging and burning to increase modeling and contour so this might be fun to try as well to see if the results are similar.

1 Like

This certainly fits that bill. I love the darker version for the dark mood and a vague sense of foreboding. The bright water keeps it from being oppressive, though. I would even tone down some of the bright spots on the two main outcrops that frame the creek in the foreground.

Your second version, with the brighter outcrops doesn’t have as much visual interest or character for me. The first, with those dark rocks constraining the water is far more interesting.

1 Like

This is the combination picture with the lighter foreground rocks but keeping the darker background.

The day we hiked down for this picture it was heavily overcast and intermittently rainy so that accentuated the overall darkness of the gorge.

Thanks Bonnie. Great suggestions.