Dark Side of the Waterfall

What makes this image expressive?

This is an often photographed waterfall at Letchworth State Park in New York State. I was looking for a unique vision and on this evening the mists and shadows brought out the feeling of mystery and mystic of this historic area.

Specific Feedback Requested

Just feedback

4 Likes

Thanks Scott for this great image and your happy, laughing avatar… That cheated me up right away.

What a beautiful cascade, glorious depth and flow. Looks amazing. I haven’t had too many BW images to talk about, so this is great.

In 2018 I wrote an eBook called Luminosity & Contrast, it has proven to be rather popular and changed the way we see and feel the world. It was essentially a book about Black and White imagery, but became so much more than that, as I dive into the emotional consequences of these two remarkable variables.

Obviously, when we remove colour, luminosity and contrast become very important indeed. The world is abstracted, and our attention is drawn to various areas of scenes and frames in a hierarchy based on luminosity and contrast.

This is an image of two halves, the right side, with the light, the flow, the angles, the atmosphere and depth. The left side is darker, mysterious, less contrasty.

The relationship of these two halves is a little ambiguous for me, I may lift the shadows a bit on the left side to reduce the heaviness, as it is really quite eye-catching.

The second thing to note with luminosity, is that wherever we find it, it will catch our eye:

The top left corner is peppered with these pale patches and they do grab my attention.

I know you wanted that deep mysterious side, but for me the juicy bit is the area I have roughly cropped out. Adding more to the left has to be balanced tonally with what it adds to the frame, without taking away from the power and majesty of the right.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the feedback. You are right those spots (rocks) are distracting. Your crop does add balance to the photo. As for my avatar why wouldn’t I be so happy, I was at my daughters wedding.
Thanks

1 Like

Nice, that’s lovely… I’m pleased my feedback was helpful. Kind regards and thanks again.