Dark Silt

This is from late last fall, after our first storm of any size. This creek drains a burned area, so the first runoff carries a lot of burnt material. This kind of silty runoff used to be unusual for this creek.

Specific Feedback Requested

The leftmost leaf wasn’t in very good focus. Looks acceptable if you squint from a distance, but may be a deal killer. I tried to sharpen it up, but I’m not very happy with that effort.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a7r3, 59mm, f/8, 1/60s, ISO 800.

Another unorthodox risk taking image from you Bonnie, it’s nice to see people going for more unusual looking images. I actually like the look of the ash covered leaves a lot, its so unexpected to see fallen leaves looking like this. Your processing of the black ash covered leaves is really good, they have a certain richness to them. And the idea to contrast them against the yellow leaves makes for some strong visual interest.

Regarding the DOF issues, the whole LLC looks somewhat soft, however it’s the small leaf that makes it most noticeable. If you want to divert attention away from that area, maybe consider cloning the small yellow leaf away. I think this would also place more emphasis on the large maple (?) leaf too.

Thanks, @Ed_McGuirk. Yah, the whole left side is soft. I really liked having the three leaves, but maybe it would work with only two.

I do enjoy “unorthodox” compositions, but usually I’m not thinking unorthodox. Sometimes they just don’t work out, though.

Bonnie, I like very much your idea even if the outcome maybe not is perfect. Black leaves, e.g. deteriorated leaves late autumn, has been on my radar for a while but I have not yet successed, I find it rather hard to come up with something good enough. But let us not give up!