Day's End

Image Description

This rock formation, generally known as The Three Brothers, is in the Siletz Bay at the southern end of Lincoln City on the Oregon Coast. This was a planned day trip down to Lincoln City specifically to shoot this scene. I tried a similar shot many years ago and wanted to try something similar again. I waited for a high tide near sunset and a forecast for partly cloudy skies.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I was hoping for a more colorful sunset, but it was honestly kinda blah. So in editing this image, I tried to create a peaceful, tranquil scene with a more subtle sky and texture.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7ii, Nikkor Z 24-120mm @ 63mm, ISO 200, f/16, 15 seconds. Processed in ACR and PS.

1 Like

Hi Patrick,
that’s really beautiful. I love the soft mood and the nice pastel colors. You were really successful in creating a peaceful and tranquil scene.

I wondered what the image would look like if you cropped it from the top. So, I hope you didn’t mind me playing around a bit with your beautiful image.

I just cropped the image and desaturated some colors slightly.

It’s just an alternative, your image is great as it is.

1 Like

That is a beautiful blue-hour scene, Patrick. I like the peaceful feeling and mood. This would be great as a print. Wonderful.

I’ll have to get down there to Siletz Bay and plan a shot like this. Well done.

1 Like

@Jens_Ober @David_Bostock, thanks for your comments. @Jens_Ober , I like the crop you suggested. It seems I was successful in creating the mood I was after.

1 Like

Patrick,

I can’t help but repeat the word beautiful. This strikingly beautiful. I also have to repeat David’s words that I too get a very peaceful feeling from this - I would even say tranquil, quiet.

I do like Jens’ crop and edit, but your original works beautifully for me too.

Lon

1 Like

@Lon_Overacker Thanks Lon!

Beautiful image I really like the composition. Morning is my favorite time and shorelines always draw me in. They can be frustrating we don’t always get what we want but you still did great here/

1 Like