Death Valley 12

First trip to Death Valley

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and All

Technical Details

Lumix G9 in-camera focus stacking

Steve, the layers on this image are insane! It takes a while to take it all in, but in a good way. The peaks, the designs, the textures, the lighting are stunning. Really love that the first light sandy layer and the last pitted layer join together in a triangle to surround the soft silky layers. It’s like they’re protective barriers. I really am enjoying your B&W images. You do such an excellent job with the tones. I’ve started to dabble a little in B&W and find that it’s very hard for me to decide the look I want. Do I want it to be more pure B&W, more grayscale, a mix. Even if I can decide, how do I get the look. Guess I just have to dive in and practice, practice and more practice. Fantastic job. So glad you shared this one.

1 Like

I like the strong contrast and lines in this image. It looks like it could be from another planet. I’m headed to Death Valley at the end of this month–second time, although the first time was a family trip so I wasn’t able to take as much time for photography as I will be this next time which is a workshop. Your image is inspiring.

1 Like

I agree about the processing. It’s superb. I also like how the sky is treated. It seems to almost glow from the land and that works well with the upper image.

The composition is such that it presents two worlds, each with it’s own emotion. Above the diagonal we have a peaceful one with flowing curves. Below the emotion is one of agitation and energy. I find myself drawn to the upper world and wishing the entire composition was of that part.

1 Like

Fantastic image. Those who have commented express my thoughts, too. Apart from the great technical aspects , I find it to be intriguing and mysterious. Every time I look at it I see something different. For instance: the diagonal looks like a dam that is crumbling with time. Behind it the remnants of a lake now long gone. Inclusion of the two indications of life lets us know that although this is Death Valley, it is not dead valley. I really like this. Thanks for posting it.

1 Like

Thanks Everyone
When I was getting back into photography I found my favorite B&W artist on one of Matt’s podcast, Huibo Hou. I exchanged emails with her and went to the Outsiders Photo Conference in 2022, where she was a speaker. She was gracious enough to review my images. She picked this image to put in her collection of contemporary photographers.
The image is an in-camera focus stack, I was about 24 inches from the first dune. Early morning sunrise.

Thanks Again
Steve

Thanks @Igor_Doncov
The sky is an old Ansel Adams trick with B&W a red filter turns blue skies black.