Death Valley Abstract

I have been reviewing my photos from 2019 and realized that it was a quiet year for me in terms of output. After many years of extensive yearly travelling, searching for those beautiful grand landscapes, I have to admit the thrill has diminished and my interest has turned towards intimate landscapes. I find these much more elusive…it actually takes some artistic skill rather than just an encyclopedic knowledge of where to go and when. So, this year I had way fewer “keeper” photos. I still took some beautiful grand landscapes, but came away with very few intimate ones. Here is one. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Also any comments about your own personal struggles between taking grand landscapes verses intimate ones would be appreciated.

Canon 5D IV, 70-200 f4 lens at 70 mm, 1/10 second at f13, ISO 200

Tony, this is a wonderful intimate scene. The warm yellow and brown colors look very rich, without being too saturated. I also like how you sandwiched the warm colors in between the two purple wedges of darker badlands. I also like the sense of depth added by the formation in the LLC, it makes the image more dynamic. My only nit is the polka dot pattern of the light colored clumps of vegetation in the upper dark badlands. That polka dot pattern keeps pulling my eye away from all the great stuff below. It would be tedious to clone this away, but it may be worth it, if your ethics allow for that sort of thing.

I enjoy photographing both grand scenics and intimate scenes, but I derive more personal satisfaction from shooting intimates. To me grand scenics, are often somewhat reactive images, and intimates are more proactive images. Grand scenics usually work best when I react to interesting weather and light, and find a composition that best showcases the landscape in those conditions. Intimate scenes are more proactive, they require more thought and effort to see and create, thus I get more personal satisfaction from making them.

In my experience, I have a higher batting average with intimates when I go out specifically looking to create intimates, rather than finding them along the way while looking for grand scenics. I think shooting intimates requires such a different mind set, and pace of photography, that I do my best work when I focus more exclusively on them.

Wow…a great statement for quality over quantity! Tremendous image and the colors and contrast look just fantastic! I actually like the “texture” of the upper region in the dark purple mounds that @Ed_McGuirk is referring to as it is well spaced and serves as a gentle textural contrast to the smoother regions below. However, I do find the higher luminance gravel wedge/collection in the mid-center of the upper border as the only distraction to me and I would endeavor to manage that. I’m gonna have to check this area out someday…someday.

So much to like about this image, Tony, but what really draws me is the contrast between the yellow/orange hues and the purple hues on top. Such a cool combination. My thoughts about those dots on top is different than @Ed_McGuirk. I think having those rocks/vegetations peppering the top part of the image makes the image alive.

As for grand landscapes vs intimates, I cannot put it more eloquently than what Ed has written above. Also when I am viewing an intimate image, I need to engage with the image more, it requires some kinds of contemplation on my part to understand what’s going on and it is a lot more fun that way.

Beautiful shapes and colors! I am with @Ed_McGuirk on the polka dots, but that is my only nit. Otherwise, I find this a very fine and creative take from DV.

Viewed eagerly as am about to venture into DV with same intent of small intimate scenes. Thanks for posting with the astute narrative.

Curious if the “distraction” of the many patches of lighter colored vegetation could be attenuated using the Lr luminosity mask in a gradient filter drawn down from top.

Oh, well done! The color palette is super, with the purples and gold tones. I like the little pops of bushes along the top. They are almost like snow falling.

I echo this sentiment!

Very nice, Tony. Well seen and composed. Luscious color palette and interesting shapes. I don’t have a problem with the “polka dots “ in the upper left but I would crop out the bright strip at the bottom. IMO, it does nothing to add to the image and the brightness is a distraction.

Tony,

Fabulous job of extracting this landscape intimate from the broader scene. I appreciate how you’ve processed the colors and contrasts - excellent!

Up top, I’m not bothered by the dots, vegetation, whatever - I agree it adds something and helps tell more of a nature story, I think. However, I would clone the brightest ones catching the edge of the frame up top. Not a big deal but those little white things on the edge create a wee bit of tension and draw the eye. At least for me.

As far as the bottom goes, I suppose I’m wishing for just a bit more included. I’m not sure cropping the brighter strip will result in a better presentation; it just might make the brown and purple-ish elements feel more cramped. I might suggest adding an empty layer at low opacity and painting lightly a little bit darker color, or simply burn or adj luminosity on the brighter strip. This too is minor.

You’ve got a great image working here Tony.

Lon

Wow, beautiful shot. I love this kind of intimate scene, i see different colors and tones connected with each other. Thanks for sharing this image.

Thanks for all the responses. Regarding the dots, once again its true: De gustibus non est disputandum (there is no arguing with taste).

Man, you crammed a lot into one image! I think it all comes together fantastically Tony; excellent abstract.