Death Valley, Lake Manly

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken at Death Valley in Bad Water basin early Saturday morning on a recent trip I made. See my earlier post for more explanation on timing. I arrived in the park around 2:00 in the afternoon the day before but the light was mostly directly in front of me so I made plans to shoot mud cracks that afternoon and come back early Saturday morning to get better light in the Basin. It was cloudy both days I was there making for some soft light. This image was slightly after sunrise as some direct light was hitting the mountains to the west. The water in the basin is from a hurricane and a couple of atmospheric rivers that have come through California over the past few months recreating Lake Manly. The depth of the water when I was there was about knee deep, enough for kayakers, and float tubers to get out on the water for some fun. The water was relatively calm making for a decent reflection and the temperature was around 55 degrees, so not too cold at all (later on this morning I went up to Dante’s Peak/lookout and the temperature was 41 degrees and the wind was howling). The view of this shot is from south to north.
I’ve included two images, the first that takes in more of the surrounding mountains and the second which is much tighter and taken only minutes after the first image. I’m curious to see which image you prefer and why. Thanks for taking a look and giving me your thoughts on these.

Specific Feedback

All feedback would be helpful.

Technical Details

First image Z7ii, 24-70mm @24mm, ISO 31, f/14, 1/13th, manual mode
Second Image same as above but at 52mm

1 Like

Nicely done David.

I love the light and the shadows, reflections, the lot. I think 4259 is the more interesting image given the reflections of the clouds and sky. Not sure the dark water at the bottom of both images adds to the composition. You could try a pano crop putting the water into lower third of the new crop.

Cheers.

1 Like

Both are wonderful!! The wider one was good because the clouds were more interesting, and when they became more solid the narrower view was good. I might prefer the first just for the more interest in the clouds and their reflections.

1 Like

This is so nice David. I definitely prefer the first one for the clouds in both the sky and the water. I also really like the second for the detail in the lighted ridgeline. These are beautiful. I think the pano idea for the second one has some merit.

1 Like

I’m going to depart a bit from what I suspect is the consensus. While the first image is indeed, very pretty, for me that’s all it is. I’ve seen and taken so many shots like it. What is the standout to me, the star of the show as it were, is the highlighted rock. The second image dramatizes this in a much better and compelling way, in my opinion and, therefore, I regard it as by far, the stronger image of the two. I find the starkness of the second image really draws me in. There is a tension here as though something is about to happen and I’m reminded of that remarkable scene in “Deliverance” where the arm suddenly penetrates the quiet surface of the newly formed lake - the calm before the storm? There is a lot of mystery in the second image whereas in the first image everything is revealed.

1 Like

Both are excellent, Dave. Tough to choose. They are both evoke different moods. I prefer the first for the clouds and the more visible crepuscular rays, but the second for it’s more prominent mountain range. The light is exquisite.

1 Like

David,
While both images are lovely and definitely wall hangers, my favorite is the first one. The light is exquisite in both, but I love the way the clouds fan out across the sky and who wouldn’t love that reflection in the water. No suggestions from me. It looks like you had a productive trip to DV.

1 Like

I was going to pick the first until I read @Kerry_Gordon’s comment. I think for the second to be as good as the first you should warm the cliffs to the level of the first. Compared to the 1st it looks bland, bloodless. But even so I think the 1st will remain superior.

I am close to DV now and hope there is still a Manly Lake. However, the sky is overcast so that’s an issue.

1 Like

There will still be a lake, Igor. I actually had even more fun shooting all of the mud patterns. They were everywhere. I was just there about 2 or 3 weeks ago but I was only there for a day. Hopefully you get to stay longer. By the way, it was very cloudy when I was there and I think it actually helps. Thanks for your comments.

As I’ve learned recently, distinct clouds you see before or after a storm is good - high clouds that give a featureless sky is bad (for grand landscapes). Looks like you were there at the right time. Sometimes you get a pleasant surprise on those featureless skies. At the last moment the sun dips below them and illuminates them from below. Anyway, I’m excited. I just read about conceptual blending in this article https://dearbubbles.com/2020/02/keeping-it-fresh/
and am excited.

1 Like

Incredible article! And boy, did it hit home for me. Thanks for sharing that one. Good luck but more importantly, have fun on your Death Valley trip.

Hey Mark,
Many thanks for your suggestions to try a pano crop. I had not thought of that but I definitely see your point. When I get home tonight, I’ll put a pano crop on both images and repost and I’ll also warm the bottom image so that it is processed like the top image. Thanks for your thoughts on these. It never fails…every time I post an image I get great suggestive feedback on things that I didn’t see or think of. Thanks for pointing me in a new direction.