Death Valley "Lake Manly"

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another image from Dante’s View high above the Bad Water Basin. There were so many abstract possibilities from that vantage point. I spent about 2 hours hiking the trails to get different vantage points and tried not to get blown over the whole time. Very windy up there and quite calm down below. This is another salt flat that is surrounded by water of varying colors. What’s interesting is that further to the left as the water heads south it become yellow, red and brown in color. What’s also interesting is that down in the basin itself the water appears to be very clear. Thanks for taking a look.

Specific Feedback

Any and all feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

z9, 400mm f2.8mm lens @400, ISO 500, F/8, 1/500, hand held, manual exposure

I’m not drawn to this one in same way as I was to your previous post but that’s only because you set the bar so high . There is a great deal to like about this image - the subdued colour and textures are marvellous. I also find the abstraction of scale very intriguing - I wouldn’t have clue if you hadn’t said, if this was taken from 10 feet above the ground or 2,000. I wonder about a crop from the bottom removing most of the yellow-green. When I did a scroll crop it felt a little lighter and a bit more dynamic but you can give it a try and see if it works for you. I have to say, you’re tapping into a remarkable area of the natural world. I spent time in those areas in my misbegotten youth but I don’t see myself travelling in the U.S. anymore and besides there is so much of Canada that I have yet to explore.

1 Like

I do like these abstract colours I actually prefer this one to your last upload. Anyway it inspired me to upload a not completely dissimilar image to yours, so that is high praise indeed. Well done.

1 Like

Another nice bstract. I like the texture. Gives it a film look.

1 Like

Thank you @Kerry_Gordon , @Ian_Cameron , @Michael_Lowe for your comments on this.
This is another image that I probably should have put into the abstract category since you make very good points Kerry for not know what this is or the scale of it. Dante’s view is actually over 5,000 feet above the Bad Water basin looking almost straight down.
Ian, thank you very much for your comment. I’m glad this image triggered something in you to post your Scottish abstract image which I find fascinating. Thanks you, Sir!
There is a lot of texture in this as the Bad Water basin is full of salt. It does have that old film grain look to it, doesn’t it? Thanks Mike!