Decrescendo - Repost with edits

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

These two edits are done incorporating suggestions from my original post.

Specific Feedback

Preferences?

Technical Details

2 sec. @ f11, ISO 200

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

Wonderful!! To my mind, this is a great improvement. Now I see the potential of a slight gradient at the top and a larger and darker one at the bottom, for balance.

I think this kind of edit would be normally posted in the original thread. When I do an edit, if I prefer it to the original I put it above the original, which is the version that would be considered for an EP or other considerations. At the least, in this case of a separate thread, I would put it above the original.

Thank you, Diane. I didn’t know how to do that, but Bonnie clued me in :smiling_face:

Both images are lovely, Chris. Beautiful soft colors reflecting a feeling of comfort, quietness and reflection. However, IMHO, I do prefer the original photo with the twigs. For me at least, they had to the somberness of the scene. Very nicely seen and captured!

@linda_mellor Thank you very much for your comments, Linda.

1 Like

I see a lot of potential here for a striking, simple image. Here’s a quick idea with a darker gradient top and bottom, and just a bit more contrast or detail in the land. I would correct the vignetting at the bottom corners, probably from the lens. Easy to do with lens correction checkbox in raw conversion. There are apparently some cloning flaws in the LR corner, also as easy fix. (To see flaws as you clone, add a temporary levels or curves layer on top and crank the contrast way up.)

Chris, Both images are restful and have a wonderful calming mood. The color is great. My preference though is for the first image with the branches. While it is a matter of your vision, I think the branches add interest and balance to the image. For the fun of it, I added “Soft Pop” from the PS TK9 plugin at 30% opacity and added a vignette. I think the edit brightens the pinks just slightly. Wonderful image!

1 Like

@Diane_Miller @Larry_Greenbaum Thank you very much for your suggestions.