Deer Jump

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was down at our local lake looking for bald eagles recently when a herd of deer wandered by along the shoreline and started in playing tag with each other looking like they were having a grand time. I swear some of them looked to be smiling. I got several captures and this one’s my favorite.

Specific Feedback

Cropping look about right?

Technical Details

Z9, 180-600 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, monopod, 1/2500th, f 9.0, 465mm, ISO 1600, cropped to 2780 x 2974

Oh how fun! They can be playful sometimes. Love it. Great frozen action with all 4 feet off the ground. Crop looks good since she’s coming right toward you and we don’t need much context here. The water looks quite cyan to me so it distracts me from the moment, but I do love that tail.

I love the action in this image Dave. Great detail frozen in space. I’m thinking a vertical crop may have been in order, but the crop you’ve used is good.

What a wonderful moment. The action is stopped, and the detail is tack-sharp. That fast shutter speed did the job. @Ed_Williams mentioned a vertical crop. I think there needs to be more space at the top since the action is vertical. I tried adding at the top and then cropping the vertical dimension. Just a suggestion.

It DOES look better. I appreciate the suggestion.

You are very welcome. It is a great moment.

You captured the action very well with all feet off the ground !
I think framing by @Barbara_Djordjevic works better.I may darken the water and ground too.