Fleeing

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was at the edge of a field waiting for short-eared owls to show and watching a distant herd of deer by the tree line. A man riding a bike with a dog following him came by the road. The dog took off after the deer and they scattered. These two deer ran toward the middle of the field to escape the dog. The dog finally retreated with no deer being injured.

Specific Feedback

Composition: I kept a fair amount of the tree line in to give context.
I added more sharpening to the smaller deer to try to even out the sharpness of each.

Technical Details

Canon R7, Canon 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 2500, f6.3, 1/2500s, hand held

Processed in DXO Pure Raw 3 and Photoshop.

Allen, what a great action scene to see! You captured both deer nearly in identical positions. That is wonderful.

I think that was a wise move and helps viewers see your whole view. Although there is some extra space in front of the smaller deer, I still find the image just slightly constrained, given the obvious animals’ movements. Was the image cropped on the left side? If yes, I believe the composition would be even stronger with more room ahead of these two beauties. If there is no more image information on the left, perhaps a little generative help could fix that. It might be worth a try, if you think it would improve the composition.

1 Like

This a really good action shot Allen. I love the lighting in this. Good choice to leave in the tree line. I really like those white flags both up in the air!

1 Like

Allen: what a wonderful action photo with both deer in the same position. I like the composition and the golden light that you’ve captured.

1 Like

Excellent shot. Love the positions of the deer. Background looks fine to me. RE: Dog retreating without injury to deer. At this time of year in this area, the elk and deer are trying to survive winter and just being chased by humans or animals can lead to harm; even death. From the news, it looks like Memphis has had some cold weather.

1 Like

That’s great action shot and you captured them in full stride. The raised tail sends a signal for danger.
Tree line is fine here, if have some more canvas at bottom, that would emphasise the height of their jump.

1 Like

I think the comp works well, Allen. Nice job capturing them without any overlap in the tree line.

I know they’re leaping, but I do think a slight crop off the bottom (literally no more than 5-10%) will give the deer a bit more weight and ground them in the bottom third, vertically… from my perspective that would give the scene improved balance.

1 Like