Defending the Family - Lapwings and Penguins

This was a dramatic moment from our South Africa tour last year. This family of Blacksmith Lapwings crossed the bay onto a rock which was occupied by African Penguins. The problem was the other side of the rock was quite steep and then they were stuck between the curious penguins and the steep drop on the other side which would have been tough for the chicks. I am not sure how all of this ended.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 5D4 500F4 1/1600 F10, iso 800, handheld

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

You really captured a moment, Nate. I am always amazed at how wildlife will fight for their young. They will put their own life in danger to protect their young, even when it appears to be a loosing battle (as we can see here, quite a difference in size). I like the teamwork on both sides. The 2 penguins both looking so intently at the one bird, who seems to be the only one concerned at the moment, but then I can’t help but think that the other parent is looking for an escape route for them. Nice oof background as well.

Incredible moment. Curious what happened … Techs are spot on, as usual. The pose of the penguins is awesome, as is the protective Lapwing. Cheers, Hans

The inclusion of the chicks really helps tell the story in this image, Nate. I love the poses of the players in this one-lots of drama.