Dichotomy #1

It’s all so beautiful until your brain kicks in and reminds you, that you are standing in the middle of Yellowstone which is one of the largest volcanoes in the world. Where I took this is in front of a large Caldera burbling away from the hot gasses far beneath the surface…

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D810, 24-120 @58mm, f/10, 1/1000, ISO 400

4 Likes

This is really disorienting, and enjoyable because of that. It has a real abstract feel for me. The full-size has a bit of luminosity noise, but that’s an easy fix.

1 Like

I am with @John_Williams , it is nicely disorienting. I was trying to figure out exactly what I was looking at and could not quite grasp it until I read your description. So well done in that regard. Great patterns and colors. No nits not mentioned.

1 Like

Dittos to @John_Williams , and @Harley_Goldman comments.

1 Like

I love the layers of the different elements. Wonderful large scale abstract Chris.

1 Like

I, too, enjoy the layers–different textures and colors. Well done.

1 Like

I love it. Great surrealistic scene, and the colors, cool at the top and warming up when you go lower in the image.
I would be happy to hang this on the wall. Maybe I’d clone out the thin white stripes in the background that you see through the fumes, if you print big (or view full size).

1 Like

An excellent study in contrasts Chris, warm/cool, sharp/soft, dark/light, you have it all going on here. The fog creates a very effective transition zone that holds this layer cake together.

1 Like

With the number of people feeling disoriented, it may be interesting to do a graduated lightening toward the bottom. Just enough to make the bottom lighter then the 1/3 up area. Try to visually make the bottom appear to be at a farther distance than the steps. Sort of like the Salgado print Genesis. It might be interesting.

1 Like

@Eva_McDermott @Harley_Goldman @John_Williams @Michael_Lowe @Ed_McGuirk @Guy_Manning I went through many iterations on this image before staying with this one. I like the abstract quality and while I appreciate Guy’s suggestion, it simply doesn’t work.

Fabulous image! Perfect as is.

1 Like