Dogwod

When visiting Shenandoah NP in the month of May I am always on the lookout for dogwood trees blooming as I always enjoy the whites of the blooms against the greens of the forest. I had a camping reservation for this May but the park has cancelled all reservations until mid June for COVID 19. Such is the world we live in today. This is the only image that I have captured that I like so it is one of the things that keep me coming back.

As always thanks for taking a moment to leave a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D700, Nikon 80-200 @ 200 mm, f 8 @ 1/20 sec, ISO 200, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Gorgeous Ed! Love the saturation of the greens and contrast with the white flowers! Not sure if this was possible but I would like to see a different angle where the large tree trunk in the mid-ground on the right was not there or less sharp in order to make the trunk of the foreground smaller tree with the flowering branches stand out more. Like I said, maybe not possible but it still looks great as is!

Beautiful image Ed. My only nit: I’d crop a bit more off the right edge.

Dogwoods in spring are always lovely. Nice DOF here to set off the flowers. I’m with Keith on that mid-ground larger trunk. Perhaps dodging just that would make it less visually massive in the frame. Lovely, nonetheless.

1 Like

Well, if you like the white of the blossoms against the green of the forest you nailed it Ed. You have beautiful soft light throughout which plays a role in creating a soft look to this and the colors are working well for me. The Depth of field is really nice except for the noted trunk in the mid ground which distracts I think. I also think that a crop on the right side would help but it might also make the trunk look and feel larger than it is if you to crop into it. All said, a really fine image Ed!

1 Like

Ed, this is a fine look at these dogwood blooms. The stand out well from the green background and they stretch nicely through the frame. This is a good take on the challenges of shooting in a thick forest.

I see why you like this one, Ed. the spray of flowers flows so nicely across the green backdrop.