Life Cycle

Spring Dogwoods

I am attempting to capture the way Nature uses both new life and death of other life to recreate continuously. Tree textures and lines drew me in.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn). Olympus E-PL7 / Olympus M. 75-300 / 109mm / ISO 800 / f7.1 / ISO 800

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
**You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

I like the idea and the exposure of the white look spot on. The only thing I would suggest is crop out or blur the branches in the background. They distract a bit from the subject. Keep 'm coming.

Edwin Kats

1 Like

Ken: I see where Edwin is coming regarding the BG leaves but they don’t bug me all that much. A vignette would handle them too. I think this tells a great story. Great find and a fine capture.>=))>

Ken,

Indeed a great find and your nature story rings true of nature’s circle of life. Good eye and good job crafting this.

I’m also not bothered by the vegetation in the bg. I would however crop a bit off the bottom. That dark area lacking any details isn’t adding to the image. And back from my old camera club days, I’ll always remember this: If something is not adding to the image, then it’s taking away. At least for me, there is more than enough of the weathered log to tell the story. I just find the LRC to be dark and heavy. Plus, a narrower crop goes right along with the elongated dogwood branches.

Last and smallest… you might clone the white pedal along the top edge. Not a biggie, just a little border clean up.

Lovely image.

Lon

Awesome composition and elements. My only suggestion… there is a blue tint to white dogwood flowers on my screen. Could try the white neutralizer in NIK filters to see what that does to bring back the white. You’ve posted some very good images and I can’t wait to see what you come up with next.