The photographer is looking for thoughtful feedback on the image as a whole, especially around the areas noted below.
Feedback Focus: Artistic + Technical
About This Image
Remember when the school photographer set up his kit to catch the whole wide line of polished kids for posterity, and, as soon as he stuck his head under the black sheet, some smarty-pants would rush from one far side, behind everyone, to the other far side? If he was lucky, he ended up appearing twice in the photo. It was worth getting six of the best later. Well, anyway, I was after something of the sort with this. The water lily on the left is the same flower as the one on the right. It was resting beside the central bloom. I did a horizontal twitch and ended up with a double take, though why the flower changed color is a mystery to me.
Feedback Requested
Does it matter that the flower is cut off on both sides? Any other comments on the composition or suggestions for improvement?
Beautiful and a really creative capture! The colors really make this work with the movement! I can’t decide but I think I want either more cropped off the left to balance the crop on the right or no crop at all, with a frame of dark background would work too for me. Inspires me to experiment more!
I’m a tad confused on your technique, Mike. Did you actually move the flower during the shot? If so, the difference in color is probably just saturation from the amount of time it was in that position or possibly the background behind the flower from when it wasn’t there-probably a combination of both. In any case most creative and a real color hit. @Bill_Fach is going to go crazy over this one. It reminds me of a time exposure of a carnival ride. Very clever and a true inspiration to play more ( I knew there was a reason I should have kept that old turntable).
An attractive abstract, Mike. I like the purple swirl of the subject flower. My eye, though, is drawn more to the bottom with the bright green. I could see some desaturation there. As with Dennis, not sure of the technique you used.
Mike: Full spectrum marvelous! I do agree with @Allen_Brooks regarding the green so I played around with desaturation, temperature and exposure to tone it down a bit and then just for the heck of it I cropped in tighter to fill the frame with the color. Since the flowers were cut off a bit on the edges (which is OK with me) why not go a little tighter? I think Dennis is right about the color being affected by the exposure time. Really nicely conceived and captured. >=))>
This is fun, Mike. Great depth of color. Wow! Kind of looks like my view of a dance floor when spinning wildly in the late 1980s. Rhythm is a dancer, I say.
I like the idea of a crop off the left. The color and motion are key, more than the edges of any petals.
ML
Thanks @Allen_Brooks@Dennis_Plank@Keith_Flood@Marylynne_Diggs@Bill_Fach. I’ve revised following your excellent suggestions. I moved the camera, not the flowers, so in fact it was the opposite of the school photo process, or the one with the carousel. A sharp horizontal ICM double-twitch is needed, plus a big dose of luck! Yes, Marylynne, the dance-floor effect is what I was after, but I hope it doesn’t make you dizzy!