Douglas Falls

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Douglas Falls, Thomas, WV.
The rock and water color is from the pollutants from the old upriver coke mills.
To get any movement in the water I had to open up to 5.6 and use my 10 stop nd filter. Luckily there was not too much flow that day so the falls did not blow out too bad. Th only hard part was that I forgot my filter holder and had to hold the filter up against the lens for 45 seconds. It was a miracle there wasn’t any light leakage.

Specific Feedback

Any comment or criticism is welcome.

Technical Details

Olympus EM5 MK2, 28mm, 45 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 200

2 Likes

Michael, I think something has gone awry with your PP. Zoom into the centre of the pic and one can see what I think is the hard edge of a mask you’ve applied.

2 Likes

Mike,
You must have been holding this one back as I do not remember seeing it before. I do like the subtle swirl in the water along with the flow from Douglas Falls. The pollution from the old coke mils has created some unusual colors with the rocks and water. We will have to get back there this year and figure out how to minimize that downed tree. I do see what @Jaded62 mentioned, but I have no idea what it is.

Wow Mark. Thanks for catching that. I was just going for a quick adjustment for web display. Luckily I didn’t do that on the original. I was trying to tone down the water a little and instead of doing a luminosity mask, I just did a selection with the lasso tool and used the shadows/highlight tool. Won’t make that mistake again.

2 Likes

Ed, see my response to Mark.

Wonderful except for the gotcha. Go to quick mask mode and brush on a soft-edged mask with a soft brush.

This one is worth a RP – I love the composition, the dark foliage, the SS and the swirling FG water. To me, it’s a dreamscape!!

Very nicely thought out, composed, and virtually flawless image. I particularly like the subtle light in the shadow areas of the ledges and foliage. I really like the sort of light in the upper right corner. Does that orange rock on the right at the base of the falls seem too strong? It draws the eye with it’s saturation. But is that a plus or a minus? Could be argued either way I suppose.

This is so well composed and to have to hold your ND filter for 45 seconds without any light leakage or camera movement, well, great effort on this shot. I absolutely love the little bit of Fall colors in the URC. I’m trying to decide if I like the yellow leaf in the swirling water or not. I agree with @Igor_Doncov that the orange rock with the mask going through it could stand to be toned down a little bit. This is sensational. What a treat.

Just a classic Michael; love this one. Other than the oops on the masking, easily fixed, I’ve got no nits other than to wish it were mine.

Thank you @Jaded62 , @Diane_Miller , @Igor_Doncov , @John_Williams , @David_Haynes and @Ed_Lowe for the comments and suggestions. Igor and David, you are right about the rock. And the leaf. I will clone it out. Don’t know why it’s not a blur with the long exposure. It must be caught on something below the water surface.

2 Likes

I love this image as well. I love the interplay of colors and the various shapes…a really beautiful image!