Downs tools, walks

I was out to shoot something else and on the way back spied this abandoned property - this is just one of many buildings on the site and no keep out sign so I wandered all around. It has what I think is an oil tank on the side, so had heat. Probably running water, too and of course electricity. Probably was a nice place to make things or keep equipment maintained. The random toilet made me laugh.

Not sure what they farmed, but they kept chickens since I found a coop right by the house with the wire fence mostly still intact.

The house proper is directly behind me and there is another building just behind me to the right. It’s made of stone instead of wood as are all the other buildings. Lots of old cars and campers and stuff around, too. It was raining when I shot these so as it came down harder I had to skedaddle.

This is a mangled weight bench -

And the front -

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m open to ideas for ways to shoot these kinds of things. I’m always coming across them.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
All handheld

Lightroom Modern 01 preset with the usual adjustments for curves, lens correction, transform, texture, clarity and sharpening. Settings generally all like this -

Kris what a great opportunity for you. I love the toilet! And the oven/cooktop. Too cool. My favorites are the first one and the last.

I don’t very often shoot abandoned buildings, but when I come across them, I always shoot some staging shots then move in for some selective intimate scenes within the larger scene. For instance, on your first image, I would go up to the doors and shoot the toilet framed by the doors. I would bet there’s all kinds of interesting shots to take from the outside looking in as well as “safely” inside the structures.

I have one set of images that might illustrate what I mean…will try to post a series soon.

In the meantime, I am enjoying your images of these structures. Nicely done.

I just realized I already posted a series: Homestead

Cheers,
David

Yeah, I really have to remember to try for more detailed shots. Trouble is, most of it is junk and I have a hard time making art out of it if you know what I mean. I just checked my catalog and see I didn’t get more than a few uninteresting interior views. Bah.

1 Like